Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Discouraged

I am feeling especially discouraged this morning. Literally EVERYWHERE I look there is SERIOUS clutter. I have purged a TON but my family is just no help. Nobody wants to pick up and as I drag stuff out of the storage closet and I drag stuff out of closets it does feel awesome to get those areas done BUT I don't see them because they are hidden sorts of places. AND they are not even quite there yet but they are better. I just wish I had 1 room that was completely done. Maybe I need to focus on 1 room and finish it so I at least have a space that gives me inspiration. It is bad enough around here today that I think I may take pictures to document it......IT SUCKS. I am trying so hard and I AM making progress but man it is slow going. OK pity party is over and I am going to try and finish a room today.

Advertisement

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
4littlenorskes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Discouraged

Step back and focus on one room that everyone uses so that they see the progress and hopefully it will inspire them to help or contribute. If it's been in chaos for a long time the kids don't know any different...be patient and give the family time to adjust and get that you are serious!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I guess I should give some credit to DH. He hasn't purged a ton BUT he has started and he got rid of a couple of things that were kinda hard for him without me even saying anything (I am using the lead by example and HOPE they follow method because I don't want to force anyone). I think today the issue is that DS has toys drug out for no reason (luckily since we purged more than half it isn't as bad as it used to be), DD left her pajamas laying on the living room floor when she left for school, and DH left his socks and underpants laying on the floor in the bedroom. It is a general cleaning issue and just being responsible for yourself. I understand that I am home all day and I don't mind doing 90+% of the house work BUT geez a little personal accountability is all I am asking for. As I focus on purging the daily cleaning gets behind so I just need their help. Also I am a WAHM so cleaning the house and caring for the kids is not my only job. Oiy, it is just frustrating. I do think the family is starting to get on board so I should be thankful for that.....now if they will just pick up their dirty clothes

Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
sasterb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep your chin up and whip a relaxing spot into shape. Enjoy it and use it as motivation as you suggested! Kids and husbands throwing their clothes on the floor- I know how you feel!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
nannyinsanity
Registered Users
seller

I get trapped in that place too! I have to do major cleaning this weekend for houseguests on Monday, and it's a hugely busy weekend!

Ask the kids to do their part, small though it may be!
Cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, breastfed-advocating, future-foster-parenting, art-making, mic-rocking, pro-photographing, world-traveling, thrifting fashionista NANNY extraordinaire to C (11/2008) and G (5/2010). ISO/IHA
nannyinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are pretty minimalist, but by the end of the week sometimes it feels like the house has exploded. This makes me think I need to purge MORE which may be the case for you. You are doing a great job, just keep it up. It is constant work.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I am just in an all around funk today. Money is going to suck for a couple of weeks (my husband works for UPS and they cut hours really bad right before peak season and then hours get really long), it is getting pretty cold and it is going to be raining for like a week at least. Add to that the fact that my allergies are in overdrive (seasonal allergies) and I am just in a crummy mood. I didn't get any one room done today because the kids acted like banshees but I did make a lot of progress and have another good haul for goodwill in the morning.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
photocat
Registered Users

Had to laugh at the banshee comment, that's what I call my kids sometimes too. Take a deep breath mama, you have a lot on your plate. I agree to maybe pick one spot and get it looking spicko. But ya know, with the kids cooped up inside because of rain all week, any house is going to be looking less than perfect.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
newwife777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Big hugs!!! I think you're doing AWESOME! I know how frustrating it is to purge areas that aren't visible. BUT, it's so much nicer to put stuff away in those empty-ish spaces and not have to slam the doors shut and pray nothing falls out. It is hard to feel "minimized" when the blocks are dumped out all over the living room floor, BUT, once they're picked up the LR looks great, LOL!

As far as DH and the kids, we've been working on little things, and add new things once something is mastered. "Sweaters and coats don't go on the floor, put them on the gray chair." "Please put your breakfast/lunch/dinner dishes in the sink." Also, they're not allowed to get out a second pile of toys until the first is put away.

I also do little things as I walk by them- pick something and put it away as you go by where it goes. Put trash right in the trash can.

Anyways, I still think you're doing GREAT!