Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
100 easy lessons or hooked on phonics

Am ISO a very simple but effective reading program for my dd. anything you want to share about Hooked on Phonics or Teach your Child to Read in 100 easy lessons? My dd is 4

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 100 easy lessons or hooked on phonics

I have both. We use both. They are VERY different. DD did not understand the blending of words well in HOP. As soon as she figured out sounding out words, she took off with it. But it doesn't make the leap from knowing phonics to blending well at all, IMO. I also hate that you really need the tape/CD for a lot of it, and we aren't always near the tape player.

I like 100 Easy Lessons for the very beginning reader. It teaches sounding things out in a really sequential, easy to follow way that is very interactive for parent and child.

I also really like Explode the Code for beginning readers. It helped DD a lot too.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in a different situation. My boys (in first and kinder) go to public school but both need quite a bit of help at home. ds in kinder is profoundly autistic and first grade kinder is one of those kids that learns better 1:1. Last year I tried just going over what my son learned in school but we didn't get very far. This summer I worked on setting up a more formal tutoring program and utilized these moms a lot. All that said so you know I am a real novice compared to everyone else.

I recently got hooked on phonics from the library to check it out. My 5 year old autistic ds reallty liked the letter cards they have and we are going along them like they do on the tape. I only have a tape player in the car so I listened to it and am mimiking it the best i can. Ita with the pp when I looked at how they went from letters and letter sounds to blending I thought my son will never get that.

My first grader is great at sight words but somehow missed a lot of the phonics basics so we are starting over a little with books at home and an online program so I can better know what he knows. The hooked on phonics books in this set are great for that but he thinks he's too cool for the other parts of it.

I did recently order the text for 100 easy lessons. I made a purchase on ebay and noticed the seller also had it for sale so it only cost me an extra $1.50! I haven't received it yet. Our library didn't have it so I figured I could donate it if I don't like it. The library also has phonics pathways but I haven't looked through that one yet.

I have heard and read lots of good things about explode the code. I let me 7 year old choose between explode the code online and reading eggs and he chose reading eggs.

Your dd is young so don't stress if she doesn't catch on real fast but it is awesome that you are giving her the opportunity to learn. I've known lots of little girls that are just sponges for information at that age.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
babymamahr01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you looked into Saxon phonics? That's what we use and it's worked great on oldest dd who wanted to learn to read and it's also been good for my 5 yr old ds who doesn't care if he ever learns to read lol
Old 11-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
sisterof10
Registered Users

We love 100 easy lessons. I think the key is to not move on to the next lesson until the child completely understands the lesson. There is a reallly long introduction for the parent who will be teaching to read, and that is also critical to read, understand, and properly implement.

We supplement with Starfall.com free readers, but do them out of order so as to follow the order of letter/sound introduction of 100 Easy Lessons.
sisterof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading
Explode the Code
http://www.readingbear.org
http://www.starfall.com
easy readers...

I tried 100 easy lesson with my oldest and it went horribly...never tried HOP Just wanted to throw a few more options out there. Best of luck!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks, mamas, you're very helpful! I can't wait to read the websites
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
genevievej84
Registered Users

We loved 100 easy lessons. My older son did a great job with it an is a great reader at 7. We are beginning it with my 5 year old and again, he seems to be enjoying it.
genevievej84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

Where did you find the free readers on the website?? I dont see them. Thank you!!