Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

Moving - a good excuse to purge!

We're moving in a few weeks, and I just purged 3 boxes of old college textbooks (about 15 years old!), 2 large bins of grad school and college notebooks, 3 boxes of work training binders! They've been sitting in boxes since I moved to my current house 8 years ago. Feels G-O-O-D!

That was me attacking the office. Onto kids' toys, clothes, bathrooms over the next week or so.

My problem is I do hate to throw things away b/c I recycle everything. I usually re-use the other side of papers, reuse polymailers, reuse file folders, etc. It's killing me to throw them away!

Advertisement

Last edited by naomi's mama; 10-29-2011 at 12:34 AM.
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: Moving - a good excuse to purge!

I'd donate any office supply stuff to schools. As a teacher, I could use binders and file folders-even used ones! Plus it might make you feel better than tossing them.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

We're moving too next month and it's been nice to evaluate things as I put them in boxes.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Moving & purging is awesome. I wish I could get the hubs on board though. His stuff takes over the garage & the guest room ~ you can hardly walk in either place. He's got to get it together before he realizes that our stuff will be over the limit & we will have to pay to move trash. I think we get 6000 pounds.

ETA: it is 9000 lbs but still. I hope it is enough for all his junk.

Last edited by P!nkPepper; 10-29-2011 at 10:21 AM.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I'm right there with you. We were supposed to move awhile ago, but had construction delays on the remodel of our new place so I've been overthinking what to keep/purge lol. Now it actually time to start packing and I'm so overwhelmed that I don't know where to start. Even with being a minimalist, we have 7 people in our household so that means lots of stuff!

Good luck to you OP, maybe I'll use this thread as motivation to go start working on my stuff. I've already told my DH repeatedly "I'm not taking all this crap with us!"
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

well we would like to move in the next year and I am glad that I have started this journey so when it's time to move it will be much easier.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

Woo Hoo! I've now emptied out 35 (more than 1 inch thick, some are 2 inches) of binders! That's 2 huge recycling bins full! (I work from home, so this is great!). Most of my purging has been paper -- that's easy.

I've already made 3+ trip to the local library to donate a bunch of books/magazines (they save for book sales), and I also have 2 large stacks of things (bedding/clothes/toys) to donate already....but I have a long way to go still. I'm also donating a bunch of gift boxes. Why did I keep so many of those?

I'm trying to follow the rule -- if I haven't looked at it in awhile (I haven't determined my limit yet), then I must not need/want it!

Last edited by naomi's mama; 11-05-2011 at 12:51 AM.
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great job!

We are also getting ready to move, and since we are leaving the country, we are purging down hard! I found that often times freecycle is a great place to offer the stuff that you just aren't sure what to do with. I have unloaded so much on Freecycle, it has been a great help, and kept me from having to trash so much!
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #9
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
Moving & purging is awesome. I wish I could get the hubs on board though. His stuff takes over the garage & the guest room ~ you can hardly walk in either place. He's got to get it together before he realizes that our stuff will be over the limit & we will have to pay to move trash. I think we get 6000 pounds.

ETA: it is 9000 lbs but still. I hope it is enough for all his junk.
EAKK, we moved to Japan last year and had a 2,000lbs weight limit. well my DH "forgot" to read that part and ended up coming with 8,000lbs ontop of the 2,000 in storage. we got so scared that we would have to pay like a million bucks but the messed up and we got lucky, sad part is that half that stuff is gone now because the house is to small or i just didnt need it.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

Oh I am sooooo using this thread as motivation to PURGEITALLLLLLL!!!!