Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
My Mood:
Hi! New here....

Hi moms!! Im Candice. DH and I decided to take the plunge and homeschool ODD starting with pre K. She is 3.5 now. I also have a 14m/o DD. We live in Texas. Since I am just starting out, I really dont know my foot from my elbow when it comes to homeschooling. Im wandering if anyone has any advice or tips for a smooth start?? Any laws I should be concerned about, or where to go to find them? What curriculums are easy to use? Does a curriculum cover a wide range of subjects? Sorry for all the questions.....I just want to get this right. Thanks SO much for your expertise!!

Hi I'm Candice: mama to E, A,and B. Wifey to K. On the road to being debt free with Dave Ramsey!
bluecandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Hi! New here....

Hi Candice! I see that you live in TX. The nice thing about TX is that the homeschooling laws are incredibly lenient. This might be the easiest state to homeschool in (or at least one of them). There is actually nothing you need to do to homeschool, your options are open. Because you have never enrolled your child in a public school you don't need to do anything. As far as curriculum goes that is really a personal choice. There are a lot of options out there and you need to think about what your needs are before you go making choices. Are you a secular homeschooler or do you want something that includes religion? What style are you looking for? Montessori, Waldorf, Charlotte Mason, School at home, Classical? Do you want a curriculum that is all planned out for you or do you want to pick pieces from several places? Do you have money to spend or do you need something cheap/free? I will admit that I don't start formal school until my kids hit 5 and even then I'm not particularly strict. If my child was just begging to do "school" I might start earlier. We use a free curriculum that is school at home style and it works well for us but I also pull in some other curriculum as needed. I'm more than happy to share what works for us but it may not work for you.
you might read through some of these to get some ideas of some of the methods ect available.
ShannonInk'd, Atheist, Liberal, Part Time Large Equipment Mechanic, HS-ing, Mum to ASD Ninja Kearnan (8-4-01) & Derby Boy Tharen (12-1-05)
Always remembering Arawyn Born Silently (12-21-03)
Crocheted longies/shorties, toys and more see samples Arawyn's Garden Crochet
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
angel nee nee
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Hi! New here....

welcome. I think other laides will have a lot better advice than I can give you.

First step is to find out laws in your state and file paperworks necessary.
Second step, what many people recommend to beginner homeschoolers is to get started with curriculum. (but this is optional.)

Good luck.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote