Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
littleangelmommy3775
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need to learn to purge!!!

I have been reading back on all of your old posts. We live in a very small house- about 950 sq feet. Is has a dirt cellar and basically a crawl space for an attic. There is 1 closet ( which houses the access to the attic). We are expecting baby boy #3 on 12/20/11 . That will make 5 of us. On top of that my MIL has been staying here since 8/13/11. By the way we only have 2 bedrooms, one for us and one for the kids, so she has taken over the living room as her bedroom.

The reason why I want to minimize: aside from the obvious lack of space I think that everything is just so hard to clean and cluttered. Another reason is the fact that my kids have so many toys that I could probably make about 40 little boys very happy and all I hear is "I'm bored. There is nothing to do". I dont see the point in having all of this clutter if it is never going to get used!!!! It stresses me out. I tried to get inspired by a book called " The house that cleans itself" but I quickly lost motivation when she recommended making a journal and drawing/ taking pics.

So here is my question- Where do I start?? I would really like to start putting some stuff up to do a yard sale in the spring and then whatever does not sell donate but with the lack of space that creates an issue too!!

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
amhuerta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need to learn to purge!!!

Have you ever heard of Flylady? I highly recommend. Just go to www.flylady.com. When I do the stuff, my life is easier and better. It is all about getting rid of clutter in your home and doing routines to make your life easier. I am still working on my home and have a long way to go but I know I will get there Good Luck to you.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Whipple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Start in a small space. A table, or desk, or even shelf. Then take everything and sort into 3 piles. Toss, give away, keep. Be ruthless. When you're done, take a break and look at the space, now all clutter free and clean. Doesn't it look awesome?!

Don't do more than an hours work. Even if you have to stop *right* in the middle, take a 15 min break. Sit away from the pile. Put an alarm on if youre worried about losing track of time. Have a drink, and dont think about cleaning. Then go back to work. This might be annoying at first, but I promise, its better in the long run. The work will get done, and you wont resent decluttering when you allow the breaks.

Oh, and as for the toys. Involve your kids. Let them know where the toys are going. Make limits, say they can only keep what they can fit in a certain box or bag. When they get a new toy, let them know they have to give away an old one.

Good luck!
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

WELL I live in a 960 sq ft apartment and we are a family of 5 too. We also have 2 bedrooms. I started by taking pictures of my disaster and posted them for motivation/accountability. I started with toys and did NOT involve my kids with the initial purge. I did involve them with later purges and we are almost where I want to be with toys (we got rid of over half...close to 2/3rds)

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
sasterb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The House that Cleans Itself can be helpful without drawing and taking pics so just skip that part.

They say everyone has their one spot that they need clean in order to feel better. I get tense when my living room is messy. It is the kitchen for my husband. So I try to make sure the living room is always functional and often times tidy the kitchen before DH gets home especially when he's been gone for a few days. If you feel like you have one of those spots/zones then work on making it feel nice first.

Throw the trash out and remove any objects that belong to another room. Then decide if you really want to keep what is left. Do you use it? Do you love it? Do you have a place to keep it? Make sure everything has a place. If there are too many things for the space, re-evaluate whether you should keep anything or brainstorm a better storage solution. Try to keep things where they are most often used so it is easier to put them back when you are done with them.

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
hezdwoody
Registered Users

There are a lot of helpful suggestions here already. I would consider skipping the yard sale and just donating. I have done yard sales in the past but I hate keeping up with the stuff. If you don't have a lot of storage it will make beginning purging more difficult. I like to bag things up as I go and at the end of the day throw it all in the trunk of the car. It's nice to see all that stuff pile up and know I am done with it as soon as I swing by goodwill.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe enlist the help of someone who enjoys decluttering.

My dh is a decluttering pro. Me, not so much. When we have a decluttering project, he holds up things and I say keep or donate. I have to make a split second decision. We make fast progress that way.

I tend to over think things. I start wondering if the baby will use it, will my neighbor use it, should I sell it?

I don't like having a lot of stuff so I tend not to buy so much but once I bring it home I have a hard time parting with things.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
littleangelmommy3775
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started trying to declutter some small areas. A bookshelf in the kithen ( supposed to be for kitchen stuff like cookbooks but never happens) , my dresser, the tv stand. DH thinks I am crazy. My son said " why are you getting rid of our stuff, we need that stuff". I just told him its only stuff and we dont need stuff, we want it. It was all my stuff anyways- board games that have not been played in 10 years, cook books that I have never even looked at, a collection of ceramic frogs. Am I moving in the right direction?? It doesnt really look like I did anything!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Every little purge is a step in the right direction! I have done a lot of HUGE purges and still don't see the improvement I wish for but I do see some improvement at least.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote