Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
borncrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm all alone in a world full of hoarders!

DH is a mini hoarder.... It drives me crazy.... I keep close track of his useless crap and just donate stuff every once in a while.... But he still has a wardrobe equivelant to about 5 AVERAGE adult people's.... And since his dad died, he holds onto whatever SEVERELY useless crap his mom sends. I just got home to ANOTHER box of junk! She lives in MA, and FIL died 2.5 years ago... She sent air force paperwork along with a BUNCH of reports about FIL basically bullying the air force into discharging him early.... Why do we want this??!! She sent a manual on how to fix your VW from the 70s, an old ugly HUGE wall clock that DOESN'T EVEN WORK "for the boys" with some red sox player on it, 2 pairs of novelty suspenders, a calligraphy set "for your wife" 3 old MA license plates, I mean, come on! WTF??? How do I get her to stop sending this CRAP? DH is NOT on the same page about this, although he is constantly complaining about the house (when it's mostly HIS JUNK that he refuses to get rid of) and i don't want to sound insensitive to MIL, and if I tell DH to tell her, he will give me a hard time because it's his fathers memories. I am feeling so alone in this right now

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm all alone in a world full of hoarders!

I can SO relate. My dh won't get rid of ANYTHING. His dad died 4 years ago and we have boxes of his stuff still sitting in our bedroom. My dh did go through and get rid of some stuff and whittle it down but he holds onto EVERYTHING. He always says "but we could use that" and then it sits for 2 years collecting dust while it DOESN"T GET USED. And then it comes up again and he says "but we could use that, don't throw it away just put it aside!" AUGHHHHHH

Anyway, I can really relate, one of my kids closets is full of stuff dh just can't get rid of "but that is a good lava lamp" (Have never used lava lamps since we have been together 6 years) I understand your frustration. And the clothes! YES the clothes! He has WAY more than me, and shoes too but he hasn't worn them since he was in his early twenties yet won't get rid of them. I am constantly getting rid of my stuff to try to make up for his stuff taking over the house.

Im sorry, this was YOUR rant wasn't it?

I don't have advice on the MIL, that sounds really frustrating. I am in a similar boat and so I have no useful advice, just commiseration. Sorry you are dealing with this.

One thing I had my dh do was make a "special box" to put important sentimental stuff in. sure, eventually he had THREE boxes but maybe your dh could put some of his dad's stuff in something like that?

eta: I have to say though that dh did just this weekend finally throw away a box of papers that all pertained to his dad and his business affairs that we didn't need. I was very proud of him for that.

Last edited by ReadingRenee; 11-03-2011 at 12:36 PM.
ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
borncrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ugggh. It sucks, right?!? I am slowly purging more and more when he's at work, sticking it in the garage or my car to drop at goodwill, but I have a salvation army truck coming tomorrow! I am so excited! Not even close to finished, but most of the other stuff throughout the house I can drop off myself in loads.... I wish I had time to finish my craft area today gotta get stuff stocked on a new Congo that opens tomorrow though
Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

Ugh I am so right there with you!! Mine is the same way!! He even has boxes of all the clothes he wore during basic training including the sock and underwear......FROM 1993!!!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I understand. I am totally clutterphobic. I cannot stand clutter, it makes me stressed. Unfortunately I married into a family of hoarders and I don't use that term lightly. They aren't the filthy type hoarders they are actually quite clean, but they are the mind set that you must save every little scrap of EVERYTHING just in case you need it later. I appreciate thriftiness but they take it to the extreme. There is usually no organization that goes along with it, but they typically remember where they stuck every little scrap of whatever so there is no way to get rid of anything without them noticing. My DH isn't nearly as bad as his dad, but his version of organizing is going to drive me insane. I won't bore you with my own family drama, but OMG I so understand
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i am not much help, but you can do what i wish i could do and move and not tell MIL where you live but if only i could lol.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally hear you on the boxes of severely useless crap! My inlaws send boxes like that too!