Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #21
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doc did a poor 20wks Scan--Need Thoughts/Ideas

I'd ask for another scan....

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #22
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
I had my 20 week scan two weeks ago. I'm measuring pretty small and had the same problem. The tech spent 10-MAYBE 15 min's with me and didn't check at least some of the things I'm worried about. Mine was done by a tech at an US place not in the doc's office. We went in and she said, "let me just get some measurements and then we'll go over everything at the end. " She then flew through her measurements and at the end said, "okay now I'll show you the stuff your interested in." She then proceeded to give me a junky view of babies face (really the top of babies head) and then "here is babies foot". That was it. As if those were the only things we were interested in looking at. We were the last appt. of the day and we think that is why everything was done so shoddy and rushed.

We were rushed through the door so fast DH and I didn't realize we should have complained then and there. I have my MW appt. next week. While there I'm going to ask her if everything was up to par with the scan. I guess I'll go from there.
I hate to admit this, but that's how a lot of ultrasounds are. As a mom you want to sit and enjoy watching your sweet little baby and be reassured that everything is healthy.... At a diagnostic ultrasound the point is not to put on a show, it's to see that the baby has all it's parts. I know where I work we can't turn in a test if we haven't gotten everything (or proven that something was missing/wrong) so I would assume asking your MW if it was up to par isn't going to get the response you want, I'm sure diagnostically your tech took all the pictures she was supposed to. What she didn't do was put you at ease and take time with you which is unfortunate but doesn't mean you got a bad test.
Complain to the facility, it sounds like they were understaffed and the tech rushed through the fun stuff and was in a rush to get in there, get the pictures, and get out. A lot of hospitals don't allow techs to talk about the diagnostic portion and only allow them to talk about feet/hands/profile shot/etc.
Also to consider, you can pay to have an entertainment scan...there are places popping up all over that offer this. I think you will get more of what you were hoping for at a place like this.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #23
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08
Each of my 20wk scans took nearly an hour each and were very detailed. My OB's office refers all patients out for anatomy scans, either at a MFM place or the hospital they deliver at. I would certainly call and ask for a referral to a different place.
This

Sent from my LG Ally using DS Forum
Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #24
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikemommy View Post
I hate to admit this, but that's how a lot of ultrasounds are. As a mom you want to sit and enjoy watching your sweet little baby and be reassured that everything is healthy.... At a diagnostic ultrasound the point is not to put on a show, it's to see that the baby has all it's parts. I know where I work we can't turn in a test if we haven't gotten everything (or proven that something was missing/wrong) so I would assume asking your MW if it was up to par isn't going to get the response you want, I'm sure diagnostically your tech took all the pictures she was supposed to. What she didn't do was put you at ease and take time with you which is unfortunate but doesn't mean you got a bad test.
Complain to the facility, it sounds like they were understaffed and the tech rushed through the fun stuff and was in a rush to get in there, get the pictures, and get out. A lot of hospitals don't allow techs to talk about the diagnostic portion and only allow them to talk about feet/hands/profile shot/etc.
Also to consider, you can pay to have an entertainment scan...there are places popping up all over that offer this. I think you will get more of what you were hoping for at a place like this.
Sorry to say this but I am not looking for 'entertainment" when I go to get my anatomy scan. It's true that I'm not a tech but I do have a strong biology background and am interested in the diagnostics of the test. I can also follow along with a test fairly well. It's the diagnostics that are going to make me feel better not so much as the "oooh and ahhh factor" In fact I had a tech that I wanted to strangle because there as way too much of the cutsie utsie type stuff. I KNOW there were measurements that she never took. For example she never even looked at the babies face. Babe was in a weird position and wouldn't show it's face. She didn't even try to get the baby to move to a better position.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #25
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
Sorry to say this but I am not looking for 'entertainment" when I go to get my anatomy scan. It's true that I'm not a tech but I do have a strong biology background and am interested in the diagnostics of the test. I can also follow along with a test fairly well. It's the diagnostics that are going to make me feel better not so much as the "oooh and ahhh factor" In fact I had a tech that I wanted to strangle because there as way too much of the cutsie utsie type stuff. I KNOW there were measurements that she never took. For example she never even looked at the babies face. Babe was in a weird position and wouldn't show it's face. She didn't even try to get the baby to move to a better position.
I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence at all mama, I'm so sorry if it came out that way I just wanted to explain that some places won't allow the techs to talk about the anatomy to patients. I worked at a hospital that wouldn't allow us to turn the screen towards the patient until we had documented all pertinent anatomy. Where I'm at now we can say "this is the head" as we measure or "this is the area of the kidneys" but we can't answer further questions or say much more other than "the dr. will review all the pictures later and can address any questions you have then".
Ultrasounds in general create a lot of animosity towards the person doing them. It's one of few tests where you KNOW the person doing it has the answers. You don't come out of a Cat Scan and expect the tech to explain the pictures to you or ask the x-ray tech to come review your films with you. It's much higher emotion because it involves a baby. It's the same way with the cancer patient who wants to know if the cancer spread to the liver, I can't say to them "this is your liver" without them asking "what's that bright spot that looks like a bullseye"... I can't answer that question, but once I open the door with explaining some things it's hard to shut it without saying to much KWIM? That's why A LOT of techs say very little explanation about what they are looking at.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #26
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To answer a few peoples questions! I didn't want to be entertained by the Doc. All I wanted was for her to do a thorough job and I could tell she didn't! This is my 5th pregnancy and I know how the 20wk scan is suppose to go and this one didn't go as it should have!

On an UPDATE note...I changed Docs yesterday after doing a lot of thinking! I am going to call the new Doc and make an appt today! Hopefully they will do another U/S after I explain how badly my first one went! At this new Docs office, they have techs do the U/S which I think is MUCH better!!

Thank you all for your input!!!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote