Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
ms_quoted
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Minimalism vs thriftiness

I had the same problem switching from a frugal mindset of keeping and reusing everything (I was really good at the keeping - not so much the reusing). It finally dawned on me that while I was being frugal and resourceful with my money and possessions I wasn't being frugal w/ my home and my space. Those things were taking up valuable real estate and I was spending it unwisely.

Advertisement

ms_quoted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
happymom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_quoted
It finally dawned on me that while I was being frugal and resourceful with my money and possessions I wasn't being frugal w/ my home and my space. Those things were taking up valuable real estate and I was spending it unwisely.
I like that.... It's a fresh way if thinking. Being frugal with my home and space.
happymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
mari.b
Registered Users
seller

I've found that by keeping EVERYTHING in the hopes of maybe using it one day, it costs me more money because when I do need something I can't find it (my problem all the time with craft supplies). Minimalism CAN be thrifty!

Baker's Bargain Boutique - my little piece of ebay
mari.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
hezdwoody
Registered Users

I think minimalism has always came natural to me. I have always felt the burden of stuff, when I packed to go to college everything I needed/wanted fit in my small car with the passenger side seat empty. However, on occasion I have gotten rid of something that I could have used later. I would go through one thing at a time. Things like cords make sure that you aren't holding onto duplicates or you know exactly what the cord goes to. Also, is dragging around that box from move to move and always finding a place worth the few dollars you would safe if you happened to need that cord later?

Towels work better for me in small amounts. If I have a lot of towels then they all end up dirty at the same time. With a smaller amount of towels I just keep on top of the laundry better. Seeing 20 dirty towels piled in the laundry room overwhelms me more than washing 5 towels over and over again. It just can't pile up as high and therefore makes me feel like I can handle what I have in front of me.

Clothes seem to be something that we end up with a few favorites and use over and over again. There are several lists that can be found discussing how many baby clothes to save they will all give you various ideas. I know my sister saves all of her baby clothes and puts them in her attic. When she needs something she really has no idea what she has up there because it is poorly organized. So if you aren't organized start by organizing it.

It's all about being comfortable and happy in your home. With minimalism you know what you have in your home so you don't spend a lot of time searching for things. Also, the more you purge the more you think through future purchases as to whether they are a real need or a real want, if they are worth the space. Since quantity of purchases is scaled back the quality can improve if money allows. Make your belongings and your home work for you!! (don't become a slave to them)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With the clothes that you are keeping, just quickly go through them size by size and don't keep anything that you don't really like, or if it is stained or just worn out, you can probably cut the amount close to half, then you still have them if/when you need them, but not too many, because what happens to me when my boys have too many clothes is that the favorites get buried or lost somewhere in the piles of laundry and then they are practically grown out of when I find them again, it bums me out, so I pared them down a lot, got rid of a huge garbage bag and I may have another one yet and that was just with my 2 oldests clothing.
Our master closet was 2 bags full and at least one more to come out of there, it feels awesome.

WHat helps me is I have had a few garage sales and I sell a ton and can never even remember what I got rid of, so I know I won't miss items I donate either. I bet in the thousands of items I have donated I have missed 3. Pretty great odds I would say.

Also, Visual clutter is very draining on my emotions, if I come home and my home is clean and tidy, it literally feels so good and if I come home and all I se is clutter, it is depressing in a literal sense. I love myself enough to give me and my family that gift.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
borncrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I think it boils down to deciding what exactly your true NEEDS are. The huge majority of items in our households we think we "need" we really don't. I don't think I regret anything I've ever purged from my household. On very rare occasion if we end up needing an item that we purged, I've almost always ended up being able to find it for free from someone we need giving it away or for low cost by watching for a good sale. Minimalism is different for every family.
I'm the same way.... Yes I have purged tv cables that if I had saved I would've been able to connect using adapters to make myself a 50ft cable so I could move the tv from one wall to the other, but it only cost me 10$ to buy one, and so far, of all the stuff I've purged is the ONLY thing we have needed after I purged.... AND the adapters to connect the multiple 10th cables I purged would've cost MORE than just purchasing a 50 ft one.... I am still new to the minimalist thing, but I have a "hoarder if he wasn't in check" DH, and actually i have to purge stuff without telling him or he will tell me to keep it. Cuz we might be able to use it someday.... Personally, and I am very thrifty, I would rather live my life, everyday, in an uncluttered house. And have to shell out 100$-200$ over the course of the next 50 years buying things that I once had but didn't have a need for at the time, than live in constant chaos and clutter....
Old 11-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #17
nannyinsanity
Registered Users
seller

I love this thread. It really is all about balance. For me, on the transition from thriftiness to minimalism, I can't justify donating something if I know I can sell it if I invest a little time (listing on craigslist or diaperswappers) or reuse it (using old clothes as scrap sewing materials, etc). For me, as a non-parent, I have lots of time to invest in that. What's true for me is definitely NOT true for most of the mamas here who need their time for children and husbands. If I had a significant other then the time would be worth more and I would probably just donate stuff, to get down to my minimal point.
Cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, breastfed-advocating, future-foster-parenting, art-making, mic-rocking, pro-photographing, world-traveling, thrifting fashionista NANNY extraordinaire to C (11/2008) and G (5/2010). ISO/IHA
nannyinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
happymom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So today I actually purged the built in kitchen desk area. It's all in a huge rubbermaid tub .. Plan is to wait a week or so then box it and trash it . I didn't even know I had half the stuff in there !!! It feels sooooo good. Baby steps I know but man I feel so much calmer in my kitchen now!!!

Bonus!!!!!!!! I found a 50$ olive garden gift certificate from last Christmas!!! A thrifty move after all !
happymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #19
ms_quoted
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
So today I actually purged the built in kitchen desk area. It's all in a huge rubbermaid tub .. Plan is to wait a week or so then box it and trash it . I didn't even know I had half the stuff in there !!! It feels sooooo good. Baby steps I know but man I feel so much calmer in my kitchen now!!!

Bonus!!!!!!!! I found a 50$ olive garden gift certificate from last Christmas!!! A thrifty move after all !
ms_quoted is offline   Reply With Quote