Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
MamaCaroline
Registered Users
seller

Why does he cry every time?!

Every time I try to feed my obviously hungry 4 month old, he cries. He latches, takes a few pulls, and then sobs and screams. I switch sides, and he'll latch, take about twice as many pulls, then sob and scream. Sometimes I think it's just a hard let down because he'll eat on the second side and then more when I return him to the original side. But sometimes he just gets so mad that I just take him off and try again later. Why is he getting so angry? Is there something I can do to rush my let down? Is he just fighting me because I'm not the bottle of breastmilk daddy feeds him while I'm at work?

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
What kind of bottles are you using while at work? Even with slow flow nipples, the milk still comes out of a bottle faster than it does the breast. So he could be upset that he has to work harder to get the milk out.

Oh, and if you think you have a forceful letdown, you can try feeding him with him sitting up and leaning forward to your breast. You can also nurse until your milk lets down, then pull off - let the milk spray off and then let hime relatch when it's done.

Last edited by AnimalHouse; 11-08-2011 at 07:03 AM.
AnimalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
MamaCaroline
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why does he cry every time?!

We use the slow flow nipples on Gerber bottles but can't afford to completely replace them with something more breastfeeding "ergonomic".

Is there anything I can do? Should I try using my hand pump to express a little and get started before latching him on?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
jess&claire
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my guy did this too around that age and actully went on a strike... i would give him some teething tabs and he was calm down and nurse.. as soon as the teeth popped it was over and he was back on with no issues! also at night he never gave me a hard time so sometimes we would lay down to nurse.. hang in there.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
I edited my last post to help with the forceful letdown .
Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Try laying down to nurse. That seems to work a lot to calm/settle baby.

Also, try to adjust the bottle feeding, not the breastfeeding. Not knowing how important breastfeeding is to you, all I can say is that if you keep moving more towards feeding like a bottle, he'll just prefer that more and more.

Check out this link on kellymom.com on how to bottle feed the breastfed baby:
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Here is a quote from the link:
Consistent with a breastfed rhythm; the caregiver should encourage frequent pauses while the baby drinks from the bottle to mimic the breastfeeding mother's let-down patterns. This discourages the baby from guzzling the bottle and can mitigate nipple confusion or preference.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 11-08-2011 at 07:07 AM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My DD does this when teething. Try teething relief right before nursing, or rub your finger over the gums a little first, see if it helps. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
judeabug
Registered Users
seller

My son did this, and he ended up having reflux. It sounds like your letdown could possibly be the issue, but I just wanted to throw that out there in case it's a possibility.

WAHM behind Serwa Chic:Cloth Diapers, Nursing Covers, Wetbags & Long Sleeve Bibs!My Family Blog: Jenny.erally Speak.ing
judeabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
MamaCaroline
Registered Users
seller

All very helpful. I'll talk to my husband about changing the rhythm of the bottle feeding while I'm away, work on finding a few more positions to try and offer some teething relief beforehand. We will see what works!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
iHeart
Registered Users
seller

You could also try "block feeding" if the problem is an overactive letdown. Feed from the same side for a three hour block (or two or four hours, whatever works for ya). So, if baby eats at 1pm just feed him from one side, and then if he is hungry again at 3pm, you'd offer him the same side. You'd follow the same rhythm when pumping, just stick to pumping one side during that time frame. After 4pm switch all activity to the other side until 7pm. Make sense? This can help to regulate an overactive letdown.
iHeart is offline   Reply With Quote