Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Googly Bear
Registered Users
Formerly: Leighznich
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thrush ? in my 5 month old

Hi ladies, today my little one turned 5 months old. And I think he has developed thrush The insides of his lips are white and his tongue is spotted with white. It doesn't come off when I wipe it. His voice is also a bit raspy, and he's fussier than normal. We go to the pedi in a little bit, but I was wondering if anyone used GSE to kill thrush? Any tips?

I'm not sure I have it in my breasts as my nipples look fine and don't really hurt while nursing. However the other night one breast hurt like a sonofagun in the middle of the night, stabbing pains that lasted for quite a while. Every once in a while I'll still feel these little jabs in my breasts. I've never had a yeast infection that I know of, but (TMI) I have a bit more discharge lately. It doesn't really look odd though, and no odor. But I feel "weird" down there if I stop to think about it. Possibly early yeast infection? Do I need to bathe myself in GSE or TTO or something? I'm so sorry if this sounds dumb but I am honestly clueless!!

And my last wandering wonder of the day... some women have yeast infections as an early sign of pg. If I were to be pg and developed this yeasty-ness , could I have developed thrush in my breasts and passed it to the babY? Man I feel dumb for asking that but curiosity is killing me! Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Googly Bear
Registered Users
Formerly: Leighznich
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thrush ? in my 5 month old

Nobody?? I went to the Dr yesterday, and it is thrush. So he's on Nystatin. But now my nips are sore! So what can I do to keep them from developing thrush full stop? TTO? Vinegar? GSE?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googly Bear
Nobody?? I went to the Dr yesterday, and it is thrush. So he's on Nystatin. But now my nips are sore! So what can I do to keep them from developing thrush full stop? TTO? Vinegar? GSE?
Did they give you anything? My kids' ped will prescribe diflucan for me (one pill a day for a week) and that knocks it out. It is a higher, longer dose than used for just a vaginal yeast infection. If you had the stabbing breast pain that's what I would try to get an RX for if I were in your position.
Also drastically reduce sugars and simple carbs/grains in your diet for at least 2 weeks. Eat good quality yogurt (plain) or other foods with probiotics to help knock out the yeast.
I know other mamas on here have taken more drastic measures, but reducing sugars/carbs and diflucan were enough to solve the problem for me so that's where I would start.
Also try to air dry your nipples as much as possible and avoid wet nursing pads.
Hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
iHeart
Registered Users
seller

Re: Thrush ? in my 5 month old

I LOVE grapefruit seed extract for treating thrush. I think the best way to do it is create a solution with water in a spray bottle (about 10 drops to a couple ounces). Just give your baby's mouth a squirt about once an hour (during the day, of course).

Also remember that if your baby has thrush, you have thrush. Even if you don't have the symptoms. Its highly contagious and you'll just keep giving it to each other if you don't treat both of you. I used to spray my nipples every time I squirted it in my baby's mouth as well. A few days of that and we were good to go. If it ever started to come back, this was always a quick cure.
iHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Hopetobe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHeart
I LOVE grapefruit seed extract for treating thrush. I think the best way to do it is create a solution with water in a spray bottle (about 10 drops to a couple ounces). Just give your baby's mouth a squirt about once an hour (during the day, of course).

Also remember that if your baby has thrush, you have thrush. Even if you don't have the symptoms. Its highly contagious and you'll just keep giving it to each other if you don't treat both of you. I used to spray my nipples every time I squirted it in my baby's mouth as well. A few days of that and we were good to go. If it ever started to come back, this was always a quick cure.
My dh tried a drop of grapefruit seed extract in water once & said it was terribly bitter. Do babies not seem to mind it?
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
iHeart
Registered Users
seller

Mine never reacted poorly to it. It is a bit bitter (I tried too) but neither of my babies really reacted.

Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC)
iHeart is offline   Reply With Quote