Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

What OB or birthing center would you recommend in the DFW area?

I live between Sherman and McKinney but would be willing to drive a little bit for a good doctor or birthing center (haven't decided if I want a hospital birth or a birthing center yet). I moved here after DD was already born so don't have a doctor here yet. What OB or birthing center would you recommend?

Advertisement

jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What OB or birthing center would you recommend in the DFW area?

My 3rd son was born here, and I used Betty Winford at Special Beginnings birth center. She is a certified nurse practitioner and midwife. Her center is in Grand Prairie.

http://www.special-beginnings.com/

There is also a birthing center in downtown Dallas.

I visited both birthing centers before settling on Betty. There was nothing "wrong" with the first place I visited, I just personally felt more comfortable at Betty's.

Her birth center is a cozy 3 bedroom house. The "living" room is her waiting area. One room is her office/exam room. The other two rooms are birthing rooms.

One room has more floor space for moms who might like to be on the floor. The other room has a big jaccuzi tub for the moms who find comfort in soaking in a hot bath and/or want to do a water birth (I did!). It has a full size kitchen as well, so if you want your partner to heat up a meal for you, they can.

Betty is very much "this is your show, I'm just here to help." Which is great. If you go to her website and scroll down to "Special Beginnings Album" and then click on the linke "Birth Stories," you can read about some of the experiences. Mine is "The Story of Levi."

She also has a porch swing and a garden for strolling around in. I really did feel like I was in a little country home. I really can't say enough wonderful things about Betty and her staff!!!!

If you wanted to go with a hospital, I have heard great things about the midwife group that practices at Harris Methodist. They have birthing rooms with the big tubs for a water birth, as well as an OB on call for emergencies. So if you're a worrier, you get the best of both worlds... naturalistic midwives with the security of being in a hospital. I had a friend who was with Betty, but developed some complications which made her ineligible for a birthing center birth, and Betty referred her to Harris. Fortunately she did not have any complications and still had the natural laid back birth that she wanted.

Hope this helps!
God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you very much for all of the information and recommendations!
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
jenny1528
Registered Users

With my 5th baby I think I finally found an ob I really like! Dr. Harms, at Medical City. I'd really like a birthing center or midwife, but since I'm a VBAC (breech twins) I wouldn't really be able to... But she was very supportive about having everything natural, etc!
jenny1528 is offline   Reply With Quote