Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Registered Users
Most women that use metformin for PCOS find that it helps keep their supply from decreasing while breastfeeding.

Single Mommy to my 3 year old DS born all natural. We are a Cosleeping, Breastfeeding, Babywearing Non-Vaxing DUO!!
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
Registered Users
Re: PCOS csusing supply concern ideas for building best supply possible update post

I had been diagnosed with PCOS many years ago, but had regular cycles for about 5 years before getting pregnant, so didn't think it would be an issue. Unclear if the supply issues came from me or from having an inefficient nurser, but we ended up in the low supply boat as well. I pumped after every feed from weeks 2-4, and then slowed down to just daytime feeds, so 6-7 per day. One thing that helped with that overnight was bringing a cooler up to the bedroom so I could store the milk in there as well as the pump parts between pumping sessions. I also ended up on domperidone, which made a big difference--I saw the biggest boost after I had been taking it for 4 weeks. Now my LO is 4 months old, and I am back to work part time, I am trying blessed thistle, which seems to be helping--fenugreek did nothing for me. I also power pump in the evening after the baby goes up bed, but that only works now that he has a predictable bedtime and doesn't usually wake up for a while. Hang in there! It gets easier...I was totally overwhelmed for a long time, but now it's all just another part of our routine.
Alaura5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
No Longer Here
My Mood:
Re: PCOS causing supply concern ideas for building best supply possible update post

I think blessed thistle is suppose to help along with fenugreek. Goats rue is suppose to be a good one for PCOS too i think. I took domperidone with my yds. I dont have pcos but had supply issues with him. Id be interested to see what the IBCLC posted above if you dont mind her posting?
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote