Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Butter and Salt for bruising?

So we were at the bowling alley with a group from church when The Kid ran smack into the side of a game table. He hit himself right on his eyebrow and it got black and blue almost immediately. I got some ice from the cafeteria and we put it in his face as best we could. The pastor told us that when we got home to mix butter and salt and put it in the spot to help against swelling. I went over to the cafeteria again and asked them to give me a bit of butter (they only had the spray on kind) and I mixed it with salt. We put that on him and before we left for home, he wasn't black and blue anymore and he barely had any swelling at all. You could barely see the bruise the next day.

So, my question is: does the stuff really work against bruises or is it an old wive's tale? I've heard of putting potato peels on burns and also toothpaste mixed with salt... What other crazy things have you been told or have been done to you growing up?

Advertisement

Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
cutiebatootie'smom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Butter and Salt for bruising?

I've never heard of the salt part but my MIL swears but butter, even for burns. I personally think it is an old wives tale. It has never worked when she has done it with my kids. Maybe it is because she is missing the salt part
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
PeanutButter'sMommy
T the Terrible Two
seller

I don't know about butter/salt but I have heard that arnica gel works wonders for bruising.......
Robyn, Mommy to T , wife to Shawn TTC #2!!!
PeanutButter'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
2sunshines
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm, I don't know.

I do know that butter on burns is an old-wives tale and is actually a HUGE no no. Butter holds in the heat and makes the burn continue to burn rather than allow it to cool down.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Salt has drying properties, it could help but I don't know
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Which just goes to prove my theory that old wive's tales are full of bunk. Incidentally, when we told my MIL that we were expecting The Kid, she said that she already knew it because a baby lizard had gone into her house. I guess that means that if you want to get a BFP on a test, you should let the baby lizards into your house?
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, oil + burns = BAD. My grandmother still tells me to put Baby Oil all over my sunburn, and I am like WTH? It's awful, and holds the heat in!