Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
mrjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bfing help: Newborn !!

first read this,
http://kellymom.com/momblog/bf/got-m...ly/low-supply/

doesnt sound like overactive letdown, does he have a good latch, is there a pause in the chin when he suckles this is key in the early days

Now please look at these videos:

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...vid-reallygood
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...me=vid-2dayold
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...e=vid-nibbling

Advertisement

Last edited by mrjsmom; 11-10-2011 at 06:59 PM.
mrjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
mrjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another great video!!
mrjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

La Leche League could offer you great FREE help. you can find a leader in your area here: www.llli.org
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Talk to an lc!!! I was having similar trouble with my son (born 11-7-11) and one phone call really helped! It was too much info for me to try and type but her tips were great and it was a complete 180 the next feeding!! Call call call!!!!

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 11-11-2011 at 06:25 AM.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Before this started had he had any artificial nipples (pacifier or bottle?) I would not give him another bottle. You could pump or hand express and feed him via syringe, cup, finger, etc. Babies have a sucking need and unless they are getting that need fulfilled by other sources will eventually come to the breast. I would also avoid a nipple shield for sure!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Before this started had he had any artificial nipples (pacifier or bottle?) I would not give him another bottle. You could pump or hand express and feed him via syringe, cup, finger, etc. Babies have a sucking need and unless they are getting that need fulfilled by other sources will eventually come to the breast. I would also avoid a nipple shield for sure!

Call your local hospital and get an IBCLC referral. That is the best advice anyone can give you and whatever it costs, just tell yourself that you will save WAY more by avoiding the expense of formula. There are a lot of variables so the best thing to do is have an expert help you. They can observe a feeding and narrow things down as well as give you some advice to avoid future frustration. Its not over till its over and you've just begun! Hang in there!

Also, I know it seems like LO fell asleep because of the formula but you guys had been up all night... he was bound to crash eventually and while I don't know for sure what his feedings looked like, he could have been cluster feeding. They do that a lot the first few days, then at two weeks and at a month, etc. - this is to increase your supply and put down prolactin receptor sites in your brain, which protects your supply in the future and allows baby to increase as needed because your body is more sensitive to the nipple stimulation.

Keep nursing Mama! Have someone hide (or throw away) the formula - it will just be a crutch. We never had any, or any bottles and though we had our struggles, when your only option is to nurse, you just keep nursing. Like a pp said, if you really need to, use a syringe to feed LO pumped milk. Your milk is in, right?

Your LO will come around - he did it in the beginning and he can do it again - just remember you're learning together and all through out the process there are "phases" or hiccups (like a pp said) but that doesn't mean that its over. Hang in there and go see and IBCLC soon!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 11-11-2011 at 12:37 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
usmcwifeymissinghim
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like my newborn. Kind of like he forgets how to latch. What helps for us is if I let him suck on my finger for a few seconds before putting him to the breast. I've had the most success with doing that but admit I've given up a couple times and gave him pumped milk. Don't give up... it will get better. The first two weeks or so are always difficult.
Mama to Jensen Dean (Dec '08) Jeter Dawson (Nov '11) Jax Donovan (July '13) and expecting #4 in Aug '15
usmcwifeymissinghim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
sea697
Registered Users
seller
seller

Had your milk come in yet? My kids both did this when they were ready for milk and it wasnt there yet. I had an all-nighter with each one of them (why can't they do this during the day?!) and it was right before my milk came in. Or like pp said you may have forceful ejection/oversupply (I have that too).
I would definitely get in touch with a lactation consultant, hit up a LLL meeting, or go somewhere else for bf support bc its so important to get a good start. I know it's so hard in the beginning! Hang in there!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #19
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea697 View Post
Had your milk come in yet? My kids both did this when they were ready for milk and it wasnt there yet. I had an all-nighter with each one of them (why can't they do this during the day?!) and it was right before my milk came in.
I posted this on another thread, but this is why babies pull all-night-nursing-parties:

Here is a little FYI that might explain why your LO is cluster feeding when he is:

The prolactin hormone is at its greatest concentrations in the late evening to the early hours of the morning (about 8p - 2a) which is also usually when babies cluster feed. They are taking advantage of the natural hormone peaks and troughs so they can efficiently increase your milk supply without out expending more energy than they need to.

This is from kellymom.com -

Prolactin levels "follow a circadian rhythm: levels during the night (sleep) are higher than during the day."

Here is the link so you can read more about prolactin and milk supply, if you want. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/prolactin-levels.html

If it makes you feel any better, by doing this all night nursing session, you are insuring a great milk supply now and in the future by putting down lots of prolactin receptor sites! Good job, Mama! And good job baby, too! I hope you can get some rest in the day time. The "marathon feedings" shouldn't last more than a few days.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 11-11-2011 at 06:52 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #20
kalestto
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi, sorry to hear your frustration. With DD, she latched on like a pro at the hospital, got home and we fought for months... I am not sure why she had such issues.. We resorted to a pumped bottle, but always tried to BF first. After about 3 months, she got it, and we went back to just nursing till she was about a year. Just hang in there. It will get better.
kalestto is offline   Reply With Quote