Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
so, do you wash your night time diapers separately w/ more detergent to avoid stink?

I have been doing alot of searches on boiling and ammonia stink. This is a new thing for me. One of the VBSN started reeking of ammonia after only its third use! I keep reading that you are saying that MORE detergent is often needed. Do you then wash your night time diapers separately than from your daytime ones? I was considerng doing this, thinking I needed to wash the night time ones w/ less detergent, but now I read from you mamas that maybe its MORE detergent that I need. I boiled them today and I'm stripping them. Maybe I should wash them w/ more detergent instead?

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
southernmom2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: so, do you wash your night time diapers separately w/ more detergent to avoid sti

I dont know.
Have you added a touch of bleach yet? I wonder if its not your brand of detergent? I had a ton of issues when I tried the more earth friendly detergents. Once I went back to regular old Tide all my issues went bye bye.
It certainly wouldnt hurt to try using more. GL!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: so, do you wash your night time diapers separately w/ more detergent to avoid sti

I did try bleach. You know, I should switch back to Sun. I've been using Country Save. Maybe its just good enough for our water. What kind of Tide do you use? free? My daytime diapers are fine, even the Crickett's hemp you sent me! I had ONE day of the crickett's stinking. I let an extra day go by and then I washed, so one more day than usual. That being said, I had too many diapers and I think they just couldn't get clean enough. All the hemp ones smelled, esp the night time. I used bleach and ran them all through a ton of times, and all the daytime ones are fine now. This morning, his VBSN smelled pretty strong of ammonia, not hemp stink. It wasn't as bad as the other morning, but it was strong. I'm thinking of running them through w/ Sun again. I boiled the three of them that were in that load- 2 VBSN and one hemp prefold, and now I'm running them through the machine on hot w/ nothing. They are almost done and I'll try w/ Tide. I did bleach twice the other day!

Oh and whenI boiled they had almost no suds. Are they supposed to get sudsy when boiled?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe some bleach, if you're not heavily opposed to it? Helped us...And the only thing I could think of for ammonia smell would be some vinegar (acetic acid) to neutralize the very basic ammonia. Haven't tried it, but maybe?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
southernmom2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was using country save our dipes smelled the same when they came out as they did when they went in. Especially our FB
It wasnt removing stains from our regular clothes so I gave it away.
I had good luck with Sun too.
I just prefer Tide. I never buy the free and clear versions, just the regular w/o added fragrances or softeners. I use half of the level one marker on the lid in my HE machine, we have super gross hard water.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #6
lexi22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have good luck with Sun and the new Arm and Hammer. I wash everything together and don't really have issues; if I do I just add a touch of bleach.

Wife to Kevin and Mama to sweet Maeve!
lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd think adding more detergent would lead to build-up and, thus, more stink, especially w/ an aio. When we have stink issues, I do a cold presoak with a few shakes of baking soda, wash as usual (1/2 dose o purex f&c) in hot with vinegar in the rinse, then an extra rinse. We have zero stink and stain issues.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
hodgen14
Registered Users

My Mood:

I haven't had a stink problem yet..but a mama told me to put some baking soda in with your detergent. You could also use a downy ball with some vinegar..
hodgen14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
I'd think adding more detergent would lead to build-up and, thus, more stink, especially w/ an aio. When we have stink issues, I do a cold presoak with a few shakes of baking soda, wash as usual (1/2 dose o purex f&c) in hot with vinegar in the rinse, then an extra rinse. We have zero stink and stain issues.
This is what I do too with both baking soda in the prewash and vinegar in the rinse cycle. A LOT of places where I have read online suggest doing this. The vinegar neutralizes pH of urine or something, eliminating the smell.

And I also agree that by adding more detergent you may end up with more of a build up, which leads to more problems absorbing and more stink.
Baby #3 coming July 2015
carlycurry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a "poop pail" and a "pee pail" and our nighttime dipes go with the poop pail for 1) because it's more stinky and gets washed sooner, 2) I use a little more detergent/more washes/rinses, and 3) because they're more bulky and there usually aren't as many poop diapers in the pail as pee diapers.