Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could This Be Thrush?? What to Do??

I had a skin infection about 3 weeks ago that required the use of a 7 day course of oral antibiotics to kick. I avoid antibiotics like the plague because I often get yeast infections after taking them, but this time I don't seem to have one.

BUT my nipples are on fire!! My son is 4 months old and just got his two bottom teeth. We weren't having any nursing issues the first two weeks with his teeth but in the last few days (right around the time the nipple soreness started) his latch is suddenly terrible, he seems distressed eating most of the time, and he is biting frequently (ouch!). I can see his hunger cues and at times he whines but refuses to nurse. I am offering teething rings to him before nursing and that is kinda helping, but my nipples are getting worse! The irritation on my nipples is not just where his teeth get me, the whole area is red and sensitive. I have checked his mouth but I can't see any white patches, however he is refusing to let me mess in his mouth at all right now. When he latches he is refusing to bring his tongue forward over his lower gums, and acts like it hurts terribly when he does this. He ALWAYS nurses to sleep and is suddenly refusing to do all but eat the bare minimum then cries while I rock him to sleep. I pumped this morning to make sure my supply was okay and it is doing great so for once that is not our issue!

I have a doctors appt for his 4 month check up with my awesome pediatrician this afternoon so I will ask her to check for ear infections and thrush that could make him irritated when nursing. Does this sound like thrush?? I'm at my wits ends and feel like I am feeding my poor nipples to a piranha!

How do I fix this latch issue??

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ouch! I'm so glad ds doesn't have any teeth yet at 7.5 months! I've never had thrush but from what I've read I think you could possibly have pain through the breast tissue too. Have you checked the kellymom site for thrush symptoms? Hope you get some answers today. Keep us posted.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Turns out it is thrush! Hopefully the treatment kicks in soon because this hurts!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh bummer! I hear it's a beast to get rid of! I'm in the middle of a 2nd round of antibiotics in 6 weeks due to strep throat twice. Ugh. I hope we don't get it too. Ive been taking probiotics. I hope they help! Hope you get better soon.