Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #41
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
]
May I ask why you had to have it done with one of your sons? You can pm me if you'd rather. I sometimes worry about my 3 year old. He has never had any issues but I have a few people who keep telling me will end up having to have it done when he is older.
He was actually circd as a newborn...at the time I fell for the faulty AIDS studies and I thought the foreskin was just a flap of skin like an earlobe with no real purpose (I was 18 when I had him). I did a lot of research and left my younger sons intact. They are now 3.5 and almost two and have had zero issues.

My son had to have an MRI at 3ish days old before leaving the hospital so they had to do gen anesthesia for that and while he was still under they did the circ.

Advertisement

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #42
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, everyone, for your opinions/experiences... and for sharing them in a respectful manner . I was scared to post this at first, because I've seen so many circ threads turn into something incredibly rude (from people on both sides of the debate), and I didn't want to start something like that, LOL.

Anyway... let's see if I can remember all the points I wanted to address...

DH and I have talked about it many times since we found out we were expecting our first son (almost 5 years ago), and we do believe in our decision to circumcise. Thankfully, DH and our two sons have never had any problems due to their circumcisions. It's heartbreaking to hear the stories of what some boys/men have gone through. Our nephew had to re-circ'd when he was almost 3 years old, and it was a very painful experience for him.

I'm just torn on the issue of circ'ing DS3. The only reason I don't want to do it, is because of the pain it will cause him. He has a pedi appointment next week, so I'll be asking the pedi for his opinion on the subject. He's a DO, and is very AP/natural-medicine minded, and I trust his opinion when it comes to situations like this.

Anyway, thank you again, everyone, for responding .
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #43
beautifulboyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At the hospital where I delivered, if you decide not to circ at birth, I think you have to wait until the baby is at least three years old.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #44
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmaiden View Post
Out of curiosity, was this something you suggested to him and he wanted to do...or did he think of it on his own? (Feel free to not answer if it's too personal!)
Good question! I just mentioned that they can do foreskin restoration to DH and he cringed and said no way! He is afraid it would hurt. I know NOTHING about this, but I am intrigued as to how it works and what exactly he does. Or is it something a doc does...surgery? Does it hurt? How long did it take? Did it actually help? I am super curious about all this as you can tell lol.

OP: That is a TOUGH choice! I think in a way it would be better now for the fact that he is so little and you can cuddle him and all. But if you wait until he is older, I think I would wait until he is verbal and potty trained. Verbal because he can tell you what helps and what doesn't (maybe he will want to sit around naked...you wouldn't know that unless he can tell you) and potty trained because then urine is the only thing that will touch if anything. He won't have a wet material against him and no poopys getting on a new sore like that. Plus older= better pain management.

Last edited by solarbabies; 11-16-2011 at 07:08 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #45
RaZZberry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
Part of me thinks if you guys really truly want to do this, healing may be quicker now at 4 months. The child isn't as mobile yet and you can just let him lay on blankets so diapers/clothing aren't adding discomfort. Later though, your child could communicate his need for pain pills, food etc while recovering. I think that's a pretty big deal.

I'm pretty sure you guys have covered this, but if I am not mistaken, there are several religions out there whose views of circumcision have changed or been altered somewhat. If you guys haven't done so already and you really don't want to do this, I'd try talking to someone to see if circumcision is an actual requirement of your faith. DH and I were both brought up in families who circumcised and it was the "normal" thing for everyone we knew. Many touted religious belief but when all was said and done as we studied after (sadly it was after) our first son was circumcised, we realized there really wasn't anything saying we "had" to circumcise.

I have one son circumcised and one not. The one who is not is a result of what happened to the one who was. I really never would have questioned it otherwise. It has been horrible and it has literally only been in the last few months that I can see my oldest son and not want to cry. I'm still ridden with guilt. He is now 5. I know soooooo many little boys nothing happened to. I can't begin to put into words what it feels like to be the mother of a son who has complications due to circumcision though. There actually are no words to express what it is like.

If you really do not want to do this, I'd start checking to be sure that you actually have to in order to stay within the guidelines of your religion.

I'm sorry you are in this tough spot with your wee guy
Your story really is so similar to mine. My first son's sacrific saved my second son, too.

http://www.facebook.com/INTACTID?ref=ts#!/INTACTID
RaZZberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #46
jbatic
Registered Users
seller

My brother was adopted from Korea and came to the US at 4 months old. He was not circ'd. A requirement of the adoption was that he had to be by the time he was 1 or maybe right after he turned one. No anesthesia that I can remember.mom said they just gave sugar water. I remember that he had Stitches and my mom had to put Vaseline on it. But he has zero memory of it and no hard feelings. He is 23 now.

Treetop Baby http://www.treetopbaby.com
jbatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #47
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What is his religious conviction?
If you're Jewish, a medical circumcision does not fulfill the covenant of one performed by a mohel. In other words, it doesn't "count". Humanistic and Reform Judaism do not require circumcision, nor do Christians. If it was for personal conviction as a Christian, then again, the medical circumcision would not be of benefit because medical circumcision is not the type of circumcision of the Old Testament and does not fulfill the Abrahamic covenant, plus we have the new covenant of Jesus through baptism that supersedes circumcision.

Last edited by annb; 11-16-2011 at 11:23 PM.
annb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #48
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmaiden View Post
Out of curiosity, was this something you suggested to him and he wanted to do...or did he think of it on his own? (Feel free to not answer if it's too personal!)
I suggested. We were rarely having sex because it hurt too much (for both him and I). His skin was SOOO tight before, it was painful to have an erection, and the skin where the frenulum used to be, seriously looked like it could tear Now that he has done restoration for awhile, he actually has slack skin and it feels WAY better for both of us!!

As a little history--When we started dating, we were young teenagers (15/16), and everything felt fine. He hit a late growth spurt at about 18-19 years old, and he basically grew just a little more length--and basically he outgrew the skin of his penis. Crazy. But now that he started restoring awhile ago, things have been SO much better!
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #49
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
Good question! I just mentioned that they can do foreskin restoration to DH and he cringed and said no way! He is afraid it would hurt. I know NOTHING about this, but I am intrigued as to how it works and what exactly he does. Or is it something a doc does...surgery? Does it hurt? How long did it take? Did it actually help? I am super curious about all this as you can tell lol.
Foreskin restoration should NEVER hurt. If it hurts, you are doing something wrong, and need to stop. The biggest learning curve with restoration, is getting the product on fast enough to not get an erection, lol. That has been my husband's only problem, having to handle himself while applying the Tugger. The more every day it gets though, the easier it is to just slip on without a second thought. In a matter of months, you will notice more slack skin. To fully restore, it takes 2-3 years. Really young men can do it in 18 months. Basically, what you are doing, is stretching the skin, just as if a person is using balloon inflation for skin expansion for a surgery. As you pull the skin taut, the skin generates new cells to fill the gap. Easy as that!

I see you are expecting a boy. For just $2 postage fee and proof of pregnancy (just an appt slip is fine), TLC Tugger will send your husband a free Your Skin cone. If your husband has just a little slack skin (meaning if he was at least semi-loosely circumcised), he can try this out right away. Basically, he rolls his skin over his glans, then places this cone on to retain the skin there. It just stays in place due to the dynamics of the product and the male anatomy. The purpose of this....Your husband wears this throughout the day for a few days, taking it off to use the restroom, shower, but leaving it on otherwise. He will notice that each time he takes it off, his glans feels more and more sensitive. The first time my husband experienced this (with the Tugger, not the cone alone, but same idea), it literally sent chills down his spine.

I'll send you the link to the free cone. Not sure if it'd be labeled as spam on here. Also, just browse the TLC website, they have lots of great information, including Ron's personal pictures and videos of his restoration. Keeping in mind, he's probably quite a bit older than your husband, so his took a decent amount of time to complete. (42 months for him as a middle aged man, I believe).
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #50
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annb View Post
What is his religious conviction?
If you're Jewish, a medical circumcision does not fulfill the covenant of one performed by a mohel. In other words, it doesn't "count". Humanistic and Reform Judaism do not require circumcision, nor do Christians. If it was for personal conviction as a Christian, then again, the medical circumcision would not be of benefit because medical circumcision is not the type of circumcision of the Old Testament and does not fulfill the Abrahamic covenant, plus we have the new covenant of Jesus through baptism that supersedes circumcision.
correct and Christ clarifies the circumcision as a spiritual circumcision (stripping/cutting away of your old life) not a physical one.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote