Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
StellaBleu
Registered Users

My Mood:
How do you use your Bumkins?

I got a few new Bumkins Covers sz Med for my 9 month old who is 20 pounds. They fit fine but I'm not sure if I like the way I've been doing them. I just fold the prefold in thirds the short length and lay it in the cover (not in the pocket). The cover is pretty snug but I don't feel that there is enough coverage around the leg. I haven't had any problems yet but was wondering if it's better to do the prefold on him first then put the cover on over.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

StellaBleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
tawnia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you use your Bumkins?

I just use mine with a trifold tucked into the pocket. I fold over the front of the pf for my son to make it fit better in the cover and give him a little more "up front" protection. He's not had a blow-out yet, although a messy poo might get on the insides of the leg gussets.

I like the trifold method because I can pre-load the covers (making it easier for dad to change baby), I don't have to worry about tucking everything in, and I don't have to put two items on an extremely squirmy baby!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Kiddo353
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so these covers work ok with a trifolded prefold?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
kristini2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a hemp trifold in a bumkins cover was our out and about solution for dd2. those covers were bullet proof on her! i have some smalls to try on dd3 when she gets a bit bigger.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

i have tried it all the ways you guys have and the best one for me with no leaks is to put the prefold on normally and then cover it. If i use the flap and even fold over the extra in front he always leaks out.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Once my babies get into mediums, Bumkins with a prefold are my absolute favorite combo! For some reason, the smalls never seem to fit them as well.
I fold the prefold first and then place it in the cover. To fold the prefold, I first fold down the front to make it the right length, then I fold it in the thirds. I place it in the cover seam side touching the cover so that it's a smooth surface on baby's bum. I do tuck the diaper in the little flap in front. Then I unfold the very back part and fan it out so there's plenty of coverage in the butt area.
It's hard to explain, but before I velcro each side, I also pull the back corner of the diaper across the hips to the front so that the velcro and nylon really isn't touching baby at all. I hope that makes sense.
Anyways, this system is bullet-proof during the day!
Kristin
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote