Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

Ammonia Monster - help!

Not even 2 weeks ago, I had ammonia bad so I stripped all the diapers, inserts, hemp. I boiled everything, then I ran a hot wash with Dawn and very little laundry detergent, cold rinse, then an extra rinse with about 10 cups of vinegar

Everything has been fine, and I've been running an extra rinse with vinegar after I wash everyday. I bleached the old diaper pail, and used it for something else and am now using an open top hanging diaper bag that I wash everyday with my diapers. This morning I went into the bathroom to put a diaper in the bag and I smell ammonia again! I can definately tell it's coming from my hemp.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Nathan&MaddiesMommy
Registered Users

Re: Ammonia Monster - help!

I've noticed that my hemp stuffins that I use for overnights tend to smell ammonia-ish more quickly. So I'd like to know too!!!
Nathan&MaddiesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
MamaPajama79
Registered Users

My Mood:

If they don't stink after being washed, I don't think it's a big deal. Hemp seems to get that smell after sitting for a while. I don't think there's any way to prevent that. If it's still there after you wash them, then they probably need to be stripped again. Or maybe you should find a new material. It seems like different materials do better in different types of water and washing machines. GL!
MamaPajama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know that a lot of people are not so hot on bleach but I have to say that after dealing with ammonia stinkies for 3 months I finally took the plunge and bleached them. What a difference. They smell great and I just do a couple of extra rinses and the bleach smell is totally gone! Now I put a bit in every other or every third wash and have no problems! It is so great to not have that smell! HTH, Danni

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Nathan&MaddiesMommy
Registered Users

I have to agree about the bleach. It's my newer hemp inserts that still stink even after washing them a zillion times and bleaching. I guess I haven't gotten out all the natural oils yet because they are still bigger than my broken-in hemp inserts that don't stink. Sun bleaching them on the line seems to help, but I guess I'll just have to wait until they are really broken-in before getting rid of the ammonia stink completely.
Nathan&MaddiesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote