Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
hezdwoody
Registered Users

Wedding Dress

Do you keep your wedding dress or have you gotten rid of it? I still have mine and it has been on my list of things to purge. I found a charity to donate it to and went and bought a box to ship it in. For some reason when I packed it in the box I was a lot more sad than I thought I would be.

I've never really felt sentimental about my dress. I picked out a dress I loved and bought it but mom said it was too fancy for my wedding (because I had DD out of wedlock my wedding got played down a lot). I ended up loosing a lot of weight before my wedding and when I went to exchange it for a smaller size they didn't have the dress I loved in my size and I had to pick a different one; while picking out another one my sister started shopping for her dress and I just felt alone on what should have been a special day. The dress was okay but I never really loved it. I don't think its the dress I am going to miss but the fact that I never got a dress that I loved and your wedding day isn't exactly replaceable! Sorry for the pity rant. I am kind of stumped I've been wanting to get rid of it but didn't expect to be this sad about it. So do you still have your dress? If not do you regret getting rid of it?

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wedding Dress

I do still have it but it is stored at my in-laws. I have every intention of getting it made into a Christmas tree skirt so it will still be seen and used every year.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh that is sad! You totally deserve that pity party! I hope one day you get to have the most fabulous anniversary party!

As for the question... I still have mine. And I'm divorced, in a "new" relationship for years & we had a baby last year! It wasn't my dream dress even. No idea why I can't seem to get rid of it. But I will! One day.

Sent using DS Forum, please forgive typos
neonalee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

I still have mine. My grandmother made it for me so Im keeping it.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
emilyrebekah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am keeping mine. One of these days I need to have it preserved. I was my dream dress, I still love it! Occasionally, I consider selling it because it is still in style, but my DH convinces me to keep it. When I was engaged previous to my DH, I selected a dress that I liked but wasn't in love with. When we broke up, I sold it a few months later to a woman who was in love with it.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
booth2490
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
I still have mine. My grandmother made it for me so Im keeping it.
Same here. Mine is made from two patterns she melded together and probably wouldn't fit anyone else anyway. I have space in my closet, so I have no real reason to get rid of it.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
bcarroll9494
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
I do still have it but it is stored at my in-laws. I have every intention of getting it made into a Christmas tree skirt so it will still be seen and used every year.
Great idea, Crystal! My dress is light green so it would be perfect. LOL! But I made it myself, so I don't think I could repurpose it. One day I will let the DDs see it and they can GENTLY play dress up like I did with my mom's wedding dress when I was young. My dress was strapless, so it doesn't really make great child's play clothes.

Unique hand-dyed diapers and more.
bcarroll9494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
hezdwoody
Registered Users

I shipped my wedding dress off today! It actually feels kind of good to get rid of it. I console myself because I have kept other clothes items like my first communion dress and baptismal gown. One my mother had made for me and one my grandmother bought for me. Being one of 8 kids having something that wasn't just a hand me down was pretty special!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
photocat
Registered Users

My husband has put his foot down on this one I have no sentimental attachment to it though so if was up to me, I'd let it go to a good home.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH couldn't wait to see mine go It was a princess style dress with built in crinolin so it took up a ton of space. I loved my dress, it was perfect, THE dress, but I feel really good about it going to someone else who will wear it and love it rather than it sitting in my closet forever.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote