Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
gmumLuLu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
homemade rice cereal help

I started giving my precious baby homemade organic rice cereal this month. I am new to making my own baby food and I was wondering how you all do it. Basically, how is the rice mushed to make it so he will eat it better? I mix it with breastmilk and he does not hate it but it's just not gooey, it's still texturey like rice. I have a blender and a food processor, but the dried grain did not seem to do anything in those. Suggestions or links are much appreciated!

Advertisement

gmumLuLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I never made rice cereal - I read that unless you can iron-fortify it, you're better with the commercial stuff.

That being said, I'd skip rice cereal and start with bananas. Even amongst those who support rice cereal, it's generally accepted that formula fed starts with cereal and breastfed with banana. The sweeter taste will be more like breastmilk.

HTH
Old 11-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
JenniferLovesEmily
Registered Users
seller

I took organic long grain brown rice and whizzed it FOREVER in my Cuisinart food processor. Most had become powder but there were still a few small pieces. I cooked it in water in a measurimg cup in microwave and whisked til smooth. I have stirred in a little breast milk or banana or avacado or a mix of above.
If your lo is ebf there's no need for additional iron from what I've researched.
Also if lo is ebf, there's no need for cereal as a first food.
The iron fortified rice cereal as first food at 6 months came historically about in response to babies only having formula (instead of breast milk). their iron stores decrease at 6 months and formula lacked everything baby needs nutritionally from 6 months on. This is my summary of all I've read :-) I'm not a professional.

Sent from my Droid....probably while nursing ....interpret accordingly
JenniferLovesEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DFS works with feeding therapists and nutritionists, and everyone says to start with something that actually tastes good. . So, we skip rice cereal and start with pureed fruits and Baby Mum Mum that kiddo can self feed around 6 months.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
gmumLuLu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: homemade rice cereal help

thanks everyone! my baby is ebf, so your input was very helpful. my older one had lots of problems bfing and weened at 6 months. we did the store bought rice cereal for him. with my baby now, i didn't even realize ebfing has a different regimen. glad i get to make different baby foods i was doing the organic brown rice. do i just not have to do the cereal at all? just fruits and veggies? bananas were a hit.
gmumLuLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
yolka
Registered Users
seller

Re: homemade rice cereal help

I make all baby food, I use organic fruits, veggie, grains. For grains - I cook it longer then usually I do, then blend it and add brestmilk. I can add any fruit or veggie.
For veggie I cook all kind of veggies, blend them. Same with fruits and blueberry, just blend them.
THe good grain is buckwheat, quinoa, good sourse of iron.
Enjoy!
my son likes buckwheat sereal with dry prunes
FYI all Gerber sereal has soy and fish content
yolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
JenniferLovesEmily
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmumLuLu
thanks everyone! my baby is ebf, so your input was very helpful. my older one had lots of problems bfing and weened at 6 months. we did the store bought rice cereal for him. with my baby now, i didn't even realize ebfing has a different regimen. glad i get to make different baby foods i was doing the organic brown rice. do i just not have to do the cereal at all? just fruits and veggies? bananas were a hit.
I only use grains (rice, oats) initially to thicken veggies or fruit.

Sent from my Droid....probably while nursing ....interpret accordingly
JenniferLovesEmily is offline   Reply With Quote