Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
TinkerPlink
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Getting rid of old spit up stains?

I have a bunch of outgrown clothes that I want to bring to the consignment shop, but after unpacking them, a bunch have "grown" spit up stains that weren't there when put away.

I've been reading online how to get rid of them, and keep seeing that I should try dishwasher detergent. To those of you who have done this with success - liquid or powder? I haven't seen that clarified, so I need to know before buying some. Help!

ETA: They are EBF stains, if that makes a difference.

Advertisement

TinkerPlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
omgcupcake
Registered Users
seller

Re: Getting rid of old spit up stains?

I would try sunning them.

Maine-ly Cloth Blog
omgcupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Kelly3139
Registered Users
seller

I agree. Wash regularly then sun and keep going out and spraying with water until the stain is gone. I was given a lot of hand-me-downs from a baby with reflux and I got all the stains out this way, no chemicals needed. Even on clothes that had been stored for over six months it worked. Also made dingy clothes that I thought were no good bright again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgcupcake View Post
I would try sunning them.
Kelly3139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

Okay. This happened to a bunch of my stored baby/toddler clothes. I was VERY meticulous with stains and such when my daughter was a baby. Plus, she honestly didn't spit up much... But still I figured that they were old spit-up stains or something. But when it happened to her toddler clothes, I knew that couldn't be it. In either case, I was super frustrated. Stain-removed didn't work. Repeated washings didn't work. But FINALLY (after the third year of dealing with this) I tried sunning them. It worked like a charm! Definitely sun them.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
TinkerPlink
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well then, looks like I'm going to be hoping for some sun tomorrow!
TinkerPlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I was able to get it out by doing the following: cold soak, regular wash. Take them out wet, cold soak again AFTER applying detergent directly to the stains, regular wash. Double checking before drying, and sunning anything that didn't come out. I still had a few stubborn ones, but that got 90% of it. A little oxyclean helped too.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

You do not need direct sunlight to 'sun', it will work on cloudy days too!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Totally sun them. Ours did the same. I put away all clothes NB-24 months when my kids outgrow them, and without fail clothes that are pristine(I don't purposely keep stained clothes) when they go in have come out with dingy spots, food stains, etc. I give them a wash like I do the rest of the laundry, then hang/lay them out in the sun while they're wet. The sun will zap the stains, then you can toss them in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them up when they're done.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are dealing with Protein stains. This happens from drool, spit up even food. It is because there are live cultures that aren't killed by regular detergent, so you need something that will do that to get the stains out.

I have cleared up 99.9% of protein stains from my kids' clothes. It was a long process but worked completely. Here's what you do...

Soak overnight in Oxiclean solution...I used a tub that I stored the clothes it and put the right(or try to) ratio of scoops to hot water (says how much to use on the container). I did it at night so it would soak over night for around 10 hours. The clothes will eventually float, so I have just put my plastic/heavier cutting boards on top to try and help weigh it down.

Then, I would wash the clothes like I would regularly with a tiny scoop of oxiclean (I always add a tiny scoop of oxiclean to all my baby clothes now because of these stains) with just an extra rinse to make sure it all gets out.

Then I closely inspect everything before putting it it the dryer (the dryer heat will set the stains). If any of the clothes have any stains still, I set them outside to sun out and that usually finishes the job.

I have had to do this a few times because I had multiple totes of clothes. It helps (for future reference) to have the clothes stored inside in a temperature stable place. Also, use detergent with Oxiclean added, or add a little scoop to each load. I have found this to really help. Good Luck!

I thought I would also add, that at first I just tried sunning but it was taking FOREVER. I also had way too many clothes to sun all of them. It was easier to do the soaking while I was sleeping and then wash and sun the few that still weren't all the way out.
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!

Last edited by Mamaleah; 12-04-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaleah View Post
You are dealing with Protein stains. This happens from drool, spit up even food. It is because there are live cultures that aren't killed by regular detergent, so you need something that will do that to get the stains out.

I have cleared up 99.9% of protein stains from my kids' clothes. It was a long process but worked completely. Here's what you do...

Soak overnight in Oxiclean solution...I used a tub that I stored the clothes it and put the right(or try to) ratio of scoops to hot water (says how much to use on the container). I did it at night so it would soak over night for around 10 hours. The clothes will eventually float, so I have just put my plastic/heavier cutting boards on top to try and help weigh it down.

Then, I would wash the clothes like I would regularly with a tiny scoop of oxiclean (I always add a tiny scoop of oxiclean to all my baby clothes now because of these stains) with just an extra rinse to make sure it all gets out.

Then I closely inspect everything before putting it it the dryer (the dryer heat will set the stains). If any of the clothes have any stains still, I set them outside to sun out and that usually finishes the job.

I have had to do this a few times because I had multiple totes of clothes. It helps (for future reference) to have the clothes stored inside in a temperature stable place. Also, use detergent with Oxiclean added, or add a little scoop to each load. I have found this to really help. Good Luck!

I thought I would also add, that at first I just tried sunning but it was taking FOREVER. I also had way too many clothes to sun all of them. It was easier to do the soaking while I was sleeping and then wash and sun the few that still weren't all the way out.
Agreed. And if you're dealing w/ protein stains, a good soak w/ automatic dishwashing detergent (aka: Cascade) will break down the proteins so the stain comes out. I've had good luck soaking overnight in hot water w/ plenty of Cascade, rinse, then soak in oxyclean (as PP directed).