Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Help with Overnight Super Soaker?

Hi! I'm very new to this site, this is my first post! Hopefully you guys can help me! So I've got my giant thunder thigh baby in Softbums now and I'm having trouble with overnight diapering. She's 8 months. Right now we're using disposables at night but I really don't want to. Everything I've tried overnight just hasn't worked. She has really sensitive skin so I have to use a stay-dry fabric for the inner layer or else she gets rash from being wet. At first I tried to keep her in the softbums overnight by using the bamboo insert with a joey bunz hemp insert and a prefold stuffed in the pocket. She peed through that like it was nothing! And the other night I tried the MF pod with a Joey Bunz hemp insert underneath and a Super Do insert under that (which is like 2 inserts) and a Happy Heinys hemp one size holding it all together. I put some gerber waterproof pants over all of it and hoped for the best (her butt barely fit in her PJs). She woke up about 4 hours later (she usually sleeps through the night) with all the layers completely soaked. She pees like nothing I've ever seen! Is there any chance of CDing this baby at night? I bought a wool cover but haven't used it, I don't see the point if she's going to wake up from being wet. People have said wool is more for making sure there are no leaks and that's not the problem with us, it's making sure she doesn't get so saturated that she wakes up halfway through the night. I welcome any help or advice you have! Thank you!

Timandalotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Registered Users
My son wets out of a disposable at night but a flip organic insert with two hemp babies diaper doublers works great every time. We use a variety of pul covers. I even tried the beloved s'bish fitted with s'bish wool soaker and it didn't hold up. So many people say wool for night time but we've had no luck with it. The flip organic is pretty amazing and pretty strim too..for a night time solution anyway.
floridatracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Help with Overnight Super Soaker?

I use a bum genius 4.0 stuffed with a thirsties hemp prefold and a thirsties hemp insert then a wool soaker over top. We have had dry sheets and he has a nice dry bum every night since we started using this combo.
Engaged to the love of my life and mama to our sweet little Kai bear born 2/12/2010 and our new little princess Savannah born 3/16/2012
baby wearing, cloth diapering, EBF, semi crunchy mama origionally from BC now a resident of good ol' AB
Saharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Registered Users

we've done 2 flip organics in a flip/thirsties size 2 cover with longies over the top, or 1 stay dry flip, 1 flip organic or 1 thirsties hemp prefold, and 1 joeybunz babykicks or 1 thirsties hemp insert with a PUL cover and then wool longies...oh, and just started using a blueberry coverall which i like too. i really LOVE sbish, but we still have to add a joey bunz or thirsties hemp insert on the outside between the OBF and the wool. I've even actually tri-folded a flip organic insert for extra absorbency outside of her sustainablebabyish obf - yes, it's HUGE, and yes DD is a super heavy wetter!!! love love love sbish wool! i add a piece of fleece inside the obf to make them "staydry" most nights too. wool helps even if you aren't going to go with fitteds- prevents the wicking by the legs/waist if the diaper/cover is super stuffed, and you don't have to wash as often as if you used fleece as a back -up. good luck!
A2mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Registered Users
Formerly: MWally29

We use a Pretty Printed fleece pocket (you can find her on Etsy) stuffed with either a Softbums bamboo or Thirsties hemp prefold, plus GMD hemp plus a 4 layer microfiber insert. YDS definitely has fluffy night bum but it works very well, no rashes, red marks and no wetness!
M. - married to my best friend J. since 2006 ~ liberal, semi-crunchy, vegetarian, babywearing, CDing, Extended RFing, ER RN mama to my greatest loves B. (9/2008), C. (5/2010) and V. (9/2012) and A.(7/2014). Always missing the ones we didn't get to hold.
Dutchlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Registered Users

We had good luck with the Sbish fitted with a fleece liner to make it stay dry with a Wool Soaker over top to keep it all in. Fitteds are absorbant all over, which is why they can soak up so much.
For a pocket solution, we use the 3pli bamboo tri-folded from Applecheeks, sometimes with an extra Applecheeks bamboo booster.

And just so you know, we had a super heavy wetter and I was seriously nervous that we would never find a solution, but we did. (He was a size 3 disposable but had to wear a size 5 Pampers Extra Protection for overnight.) AND, he isn't a super heavy wetter anymore! I do think that they outgrow it a little bit!!
sweetjulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

Have you tried Motherease Sandy's? They supposedly hold up to 15oz. I use them with a fleece liner and you could use a doubler if needed. (my dd is also 8 months old and this has been our go to nighttime solution).
Mommy to
Avigail (12-29-06)
Eliana (3-18-11)
Gwendolyn (6-30-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote