Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice please...daycare, stinks, and leaks!

Are you sure they are putting the cd's on correctly and getting them tight enough? We started by sending BG3.0's and lil Joey's, and I was amazed to see - several times - she came home with them on BACKWARDS! LOL! Turns out there is a slightly older little guy who uses gDiapers and they were used to putting the velcro to the back :grin:
Now we use BGE's and there are still some occasions where someone clearly is afraid to "hurt" baby with the cd being too tight - so they snap two rows or more away from where I would. We never, ever get leaks at home (but rarely at dc now, since instructing them "this is the front and this is the back.")
Is it a home daycare or center? Our center - and it probably varies by state - is required, I think, to change diapers AT LEAST every 2 hours.

Advertisement

DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymama1 View Post
are they changing her often enough? Sometimes people who are not familiar with cloth think that you can leave it on for hours and hours like a sposie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayer79 View Post
My sons school is still getting the hang of it 4mo later. They still never stick the Velcro tabs after using, and they never get it tight enough. At least they're willing to try.
Yup and yup. I asked DCP when we went over the cloth routine to never keep him in a diaper more than 3 hours (unless he's in a really hard nap). She's been really awesome about it.

As far as the stink, I mean it happens. It's probably also because they're used to changing and throwing a diaper out.. Whereas with cloth you smell the urine and have to keep it hanging around, even if in a bag. Wetbags are harder because you have to close them, but that makes it stink more... I definitely pick up some raunchy wetbags from DC, but she doesn't complain about it....
Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

double post
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

Aren't they required to change babies every hour? With DS (before our CDing days) his day care would change him every hour, or every other hour at the most. Maybe you can try using bamboo inserts instead. Or MF with a bamboo insert underneath. I just started using them because of the Alva coop. They're super trim. A lot of mamas on here have been raving about them.

So you're only using two wetbags a week? Maybe get more and bring a new one in everyday?? There are some really affordable ones out there. Diaper Palz is a WAHM that makes them really affordable and Alva makes cheap ones. Brining in a new one should help. I think they're just not used to smelling days worth of CDs??

Last edited by ARogers; 12-05-2011 at 08:06 AM.
ARogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Ladyflower
Registered Users

Ds has been CD'd at daycare since he started there. My ds #1 did go to the same daycare, but he used sposies. When I asked about using CD's for ds #2 the daycare owner was completely fine with it. So far they have been using CD's for a year now. When they first started CD'ing him he would go through 2-3 outfits a day because he was always leaking. Now he usually comes home in the same outfit.

#1 - Use doublers. Our daycare does write down diaper changes so I know they do change him every 2-3 hours on average. However, I know ds also has times that he can soak through a diaper fairly quickly. So, he might have one almost dry diaper, wait until he's changed, and then soak that new diaper within a few minutes of having it on. Even if you don't ususally need them, doublers will help control leaks in these instances.

#2 - Find a diaper that fits your baby well. I have a wide variety of diapers and some just don't fit as well. Even when I use them there is more of a chance of leakage so I don't send those to daycare. Make sure you send diapers that are snug around the legs and waist. If you think they're not putting the diaper on tight enough, just show them how tight it should be. Right now my diaper of choice is BG AIO's with an extra newborn doubler stuffed in there.

#3 - Stick with aplix diapers. Aplix diapers really are the easiest for them to use and get a good fit. At first I was sending a lot of simple snap diapers, but I realized we got less leaks when I just sent the aplix diapers.

#4 - What do they do with the wetbag? I've been using Grovia wetbags and a couple zipping wetbags (one Cuteybaby, one that I made) and they just hang the wetbag on his locker hook. They have never complained about the smell. Do you bring a diaper bag with you to daycare? Maybe ask them to put the wetbag inside the diaper bag between changes that way if any stink is leaking out the wetbag, it'll be contained inside the diaper bag. I also use a new, clean wetbag every day for daycare. Don't re-use a dirty wetbag because it might be holding onto some stink before a stinky diaper even makes it's way inside.
Ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote