Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

chemical or test too early?

I need expertise or support/encouragement!

I have always been irregular and on top of that I am still bfing my son... so I have been using opks. I had an LH surge on cd20 and cramping the next day. Then on 9dpo I got a bfn. On 11 and 12dpo (today is 12dpo) I got bfps. They were light but appeared within two minutes.

So my clinic requires a basic urin preg test to start the referal process to an OB. I went in this morning and the test came back NEG! she said the tests they use aren't that accurate and to come back in two weeks.

Of course I am disappointed and sad. Do you think it could be a chemical pregnancy or just too soon to tell if it will "stick"? Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Dutchlish
Registered Users
Formerly: MWally29
seller

Re: chemical or test too early?

Not necessarily! I found out with YDS at 10 DPO and I was worried about a chemical the whole time. When I went to the doctor for all the confirmation/blood work stuff the nurse told me that the tests they use aren't as sensitive as the ones you buy in the store.
I had very faint tests for a while and was freaking out the whole time but that little bean is now 18 months old. Don't worry until you have a good reason! Congrats and sticky vibes to you!
M. - married to my best friend J. since 2006 ~ liberal, semi-crunchy, vegetarian, babywearing, CDing, Extended RFing, ER RN mama to my greatest loves B. (9/2008), C. (5/2010) and V. (9/2012) and A.(7/2014). Always missing the ones we didn't get to hold.
Dutchlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's very early not to be using first morning. I'm guessing that the clinic test was not. The range in HPT's vary in sensitivity quite a bit it could be that yours measure down to 25 and theirs are only 50. That would make a difference.

Why not a blood test? That is a far better indicator and you should be having at least 2 anyway.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for your quick responses! I guess it is still pretty early... I wasn't even really paying attention --I was too excited. I also assumed they would do a blood test (since I had one when I was pregnant with my son at 13dpo), but we're new to this area and I didnt realize they only do a urin test.

I think they wont do a blood test since they don't have the resources. We are a military family and this base only has a small clinic. They send us off base for pedis and all womanly issues (they even sent me to an OB for a breast yeast infection). They only need the positive test on file to start the referal process. Gah!

Well I guess I'll keep testing myself so I can sleep at night and go in just before we leave for Christmas vacation for another official test. Another local momma told me I can make my first OB appt without the referal as long as I have it before the appt so I think I'll do that since it'll take at least a month to get an appt. Thanks ladies!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

yes, definitely early. Like pp said, you might get a positive with their test if you were using fmu, but if they aren't very sensitive then it wouldn't show up. They don't expect us to be as atts as we are and find out so early, I guess I would think you would get a positive by next week, though, since by then you'd be several days late for AF. Would they let you come back in a week? Def make your OB appointment if it takes that long to get in, though!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Too early for their lame tests!! Drs offices sometimes use the 50+ mIu tests because often women only come in after a missed period. I've heard of this happening to other mamas. Trust your tests, you ARE pregnant. And congratulations!!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by el's mama
Too early for their lame tests!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el's mama
I've heard of this happening to other mamas. Trust your tests, you ARE pregnant.
I read this to my dh (who will remain a skeptic until he hears a heartbeat) and so he finally stopped saying "maybe" every time I mentioned the pregnancy. He was really killing my joy so thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen
They don't expect us to be as atts as we are and find out so early, I guess
very true...

Thanks for the encouragement and congrats everyone!