Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I got an eReader...

When I look at pictures of minimalist homes, books are one of the things I notice are glaringly absent. I love books. I've also noticed, however, that they are a serious clutter pitfall for me.

I have books-- library and my own-- stacked on most available surfaces. When the kindle first came out, I wasn't sure about it. Did I mention that I love books? I love the smell of them and the feel of them and the cozy nostalgia that curling up with a good book brings.

I got my Nook last month and I think I am finally ready to start letting go of some of my paperbacks. This is a really big step for me because I have a serious emotional attachment to paper and ink.

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

Re: I got an eReader...

I'm jealous! I have hundreds of books I can't let go of - yay for you!
and the joy my children bring!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

I am wanting to get one of those too but I will never stop reading real books. Over the years I have sold and donated most of my books except for the much-treasured ones because I don't need the clutter, and I mostly check books out of the library instead of buying them. I swap on Paperback Swap too.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will still read real books too. I love our local library. However, I have, in the past, had this uncontrollable urge to buy them and horde them-- just in case I want to read them again or because they look 'pretty' or just because I wanted them.

This way I can save them on my computer, on the web, on my NOOK, and they don't take up any extra space in my home. It has helped me come to grips with books being about the words and not the physical pages. If that makes sense. It is very freeing for me. I have already boxed up several books to go to the library thrift store.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I got a kindle for Christmas during my US trip to bring back. I love it.Though my situation is a bit unqiue as I do not have easy access to English language hard copy books.

I will still keep hard books of resource books. Maybe some classics. But pretty much all new will be ebook.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Riverleaf1772
Registered Users
seller

I love books, but I'm allergic to dust and book dust is the worst for me so a Reader was the best thing I've ever gotten. I love it. I'm sad to see bookstores disappearing tho- like Borders going under - because its just not as fun to browse online. I also got the Sony Reader instead of the Nook, so I might feel differently if I had their browsing.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
justsamma
Registered Users
seller

i've had an ereader forever & i was put on a book buying ban by my DP.
if it comes ebook, i must get that.
but i still can't let go of my paper books.
i have 5 or so books that i have both ebooks and paper books of. I ordered the paper books before i got the ereader, got the ereader, downloaded & read the ebooks before the paper books were delivered & i just can't seem to let go of them.
justsamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
nickelmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had a huge amount of books and then I got my kindle and the library which makes it easy not to have the clutter. The library books always go back! The best way I got rid of books was to think of all the people who could read those books if I gave them away. If I want to reread a book I can just go to the library. We have one bookshelf and it is all the kids books and on a weekly basis we pull books to donate or give to friends. It just gets to be too much for me if I have books everywhere.