Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Minimalist Cleaning!

Originally Posted by pgkcb13 View Post
We use vinegar/water for just about everything from surfaces to spills, bathroom, kitchen, you name it. We use baking soda for toilets and tubs. We use baby mild dr bronners for hand soap/dish soap/body wash/DHs shampoo (lol). We use rags and microfiber cloths for dusting. We make our own laundry soap and dishwashing detergent and use a bac-out/water solution for stain treatment... that's it. We love it

With the exception of making our own detergents (its on my to-do list someday), this sums up my home.

I'm Macy, Wife to Damon.
Together we have Daunika(8), Aurora(6),
Declan(4) and Kalani (2) :
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #12
Registered Users

I use vinegar and water for most things. Ecover All purpose for toilets and bathroom. Sometimes baking soda for things that need to be scrubbed. We use a green dish soap (whatever is on sale) and a fake green dishwasher soap - haven't found a good one yet. And charlie's soap for all the laundry.

I do need to make some rags tho, and I'm bad about not using dishtowels enough. I grab for the paper towels a lot, especially with my 2 year old.
Pam - in love with BFDH & mama to Isobel 11/5/09!
Riverleaf1772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #13
formerly 4boysMomma
My Mood:

Interesting. I recently had a bit of an epiphany on this subject. I realized simplicity isn't always going without or having less, sometimes its putting into practice the most basic sense of the word and making a difficult task more easily accomplished. I tried for so long to be super green with my cleaning, using washable everything, baking soda, vinegar, but with 7 people in this house, a hubby who works long hours, 3 boys with Aspergers/PDD-NOS who don't always have the best hygiene and sensory issues (vinegar makes them gag, won't touch microfiber, freaked out by germs) all of which makes them helping with chores difficult, plus a wild toddler and a newborn, not to mention super hard water which makes everything challenging...I threw in the towel (literally, LOL) and went to convenience products. I must admit, I them! They have made our life so much easier. Someday I hope to green up my cleaning again, but for now this is working. So here is my so-not-green list:

Costco Brand disinfecting wipes to clean toilet seats, counter tops, anything really grubby or gross. Love the scrubbing orange ones!
Swiffer sweeping cloths for dusting floors and other surfaces. Really helps our allergies and my kiddos love to help do it.
Gain Laundry Detergent and Softener - finally getting everything clean, including my oldest teens smelly stuff, and DH's work clothes - eww.
Clorox Toilet Wands - my boys LOVE these, cleaning the toilet is their favorite job now LOL.
Finish Power Tabs for the dishwasher - the only thing to conquer our horrible hard water and get dishes clean the first run.
We use paper towels, but not as much as you might think. Mostly for cleaning mirrors and glass, which I do use an earth-friendly spray cleaner for (varies). And I still use cloth rags and towels, mostly for cleaning in the kitchen. But they tend to pile up and get gross. I am still trying to figure out a good system for storing them until there is enough to wash.
Mom of six boys
DS(18)DS(15) DS(13) DS(5) DS(2) and Baby DS
who are the love of my life and the bane of my existence all wrapped up in one wonderful wacky package.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!

Last edited by Silver)O(Moon; 12-11-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote