Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #21
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have you ever just thrown things out?

For me it needs to be wrecked for me to trash it. I just find it hard to do. My dh has no problem with it but he humors me and brings things to donation sites as often as needed.

Advertisement

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #22
Lovely Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i absolutely have...we live in a condo complex and on more than one occasion I have taken a stack of nicely folded clothes downstairs and placed them in a box labeled FREE in front of the dumpster.. after an hour or two they are either all or mostly gone... Do you live in a complex/development with some decent traffic where you could maybe put it on your curb out front? This way if they dont get picked up you could then just throw them away?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
Cortney
Registered Users
seller

I have occasionally trashed items. Like others though, I usually just pack up bags/boxes and put them in the back of my van. That way when I drive past the Goodwill drop-off or the thrift store (both close enough to my house) I can just 'drop'.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #24
SimplySophisticated
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
Have you ever just tossed things out because you didn't feel like you had the energy to go through and wash/clean/sell/donate them?

I was reading through the thread about the lady asking for help and someone said to get rid of things, but don't hold on to them to sell if they will never leave your house. This is me. If I hang on to something to sell, it collects in a pile and I never sell it. Same with donations.

Last week I threw out some of DD's old summer clothes simply because I knew that if they didn't leave instantly, they would sit in a pile and collect dust and never leave. Has anyone else ever done this? Am I alone? I know it isn't thrifty, earth-conscious or even helpful, but I am drowning in clutter and need it to just LEAVE.

Guilty as charged.
SimplySophisticated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #25
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Momma View Post
i absolutely have...we live in a condo complex and on more than one occasion I have taken a stack of nicely folded clothes downstairs and placed them in a box labeled FREE in front of the dumpster.. after an hour or two they are either all or mostly gone... Do you live in a complex/development with some decent traffic where you could maybe put it on your curb out front? This way if they dont get picked up you could then just throw them away?
I live in a community where I would be fined $25 for doing that.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #26
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I have thought about that, but my neighbor got fined for it by our community last month.

I am going to try and donate as much as I can, but the task of getting it cleaned up and ready to go is rather daunting.
Why not put them out on garbage day? Just put it out as early as you're allowed to put out garbage the night before. Many people cruise neighbourhoods the night before garbage day looking for stuff, if you stuck a sign on it even better
Old 12-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #27
zenmamaski
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can't do it. I'd be wracked with guilt. Freecycle and Craigslist just works for getting rid of stuff. If I don't feel like dealing with people, I'll just cart it out to the curb and post a "curb alert" on Craigslist. I've even told people: "bag of women's clothes. Some are torn, all need to be washed." It was snapped right up!
zenmamaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #28
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Very rarely and even then it has to be really bad before I'll trash things. Mostly like others I think Craigslist is faster than freecycle, leaving in my van till I hit a drop off but then again we're in town where there's one of those red drop off bins on almost every street corner.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #29
NikiG
Registered Users
seller

Yup. We don't have a car so if FIL can't take it to the donation bin or someone cant pick it up and use it, it goes in the trash. Mind you, most of what I trash is trash, but sometimes for the sake of my sanity I need to get stuff outta my house!
NikiG is offline   Reply With Quote