Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Registered Users
Wool ammonia stink

I just bought wool pull on covers for my mostly potty trained toddler. She had her first accident last night and the cover reeks of ammonia. Am I going to have to start washing these everytime she has an accident or what? I'm brand new to wool so I'm really not sure how these work. Any advise would be great. Also I need suggestions for wool wash- any favorites.
thanks ladies
Oh the covers are from Wild Coconut wear and they are wool interlock. Etsy said they came pre-lanolized and ready to wear.

Last edited by cdmomma2; 12-13-2011 at 01:22 PM.
cdmomma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Wool ammonia stink

I would try soaking the wool with some baby soap or gentle dish soap to strip away oils/lanolin/trapped stains/odors, rinsing well, then soaking with a wool wash and re-lanolizing. I like Eucalan wool wash b/c it does not have a lot of lanolin (I don't like sticky, heavily lanolized wool)
Hi I'm Melanie! I make EmotiBums FLEECE

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

What kind of cover? If it is interlock, I would put it in the washing machine on warm gentle cycle with detergent and oxiclean. Then start over with wool wash and lanolin.
Kim wife to Kyle and mommy to Julia 2/15/2010 and Clara 5/7/2012
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I would do the gentile dish soap strip as well. Once they are clean and relanolised, you should not have to clean very often at all. I do mine about once a month. I could go longer because we only use them for night and they normally don't get damp. I just adore the fresh scent! I buy from ewe-need-it. I get the huge jug because we have quite a bit of wool. May fave is the wash and lanolin in one. We only buy dragon's blood scent. It smells like inscents, yummy!! The smell last soooo long! The customer service is just awsome as well. i have even placed a special order and the wahm was so cool about all my questions and everything elese!
Here is the one we love:

She does much smaller bottles though, lol. I also follow her on fb!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote