Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
mom2threeboys
Registered Users

Re: Are you getting a flu shot?

Our family does not get the flu shot. Never will. Instead we get whole food supplements to boost our immune system. We try to stick with healthy foods high in vitamin C and have adjustments by our chiropractor every other week. We practice good hand washing and make sure we get good rest in the flu/ cold season. I LOVE this blog post too. http://happilydomestic.blogspot.com/....html?spref=fb

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the links, ladies!
Old 12-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
SqueakersMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have one more link - if anyone is wanting to get the flu shot but unsure of which have preservatives and which don't. Thimerosal is the name of the mercury containing preservative that is used in some vaccinations. The table in this link lists each vaccine for this flu season and which contain thimerosal and which don't. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/vaccines.htm
Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Mom2G&J
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for all the links ladies! I have decided not to get the flu shot. I decided that if I wouldn't give it to my kids that are outside of my body, why would I give it to the one inside? So this winter we will do a lot of hand washing, eating healthy, getting plenty of rest and take our vitamins!
I had the flu when DD was very young and I was miserable so I understand why people get it.
Mom2G&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:
I did a few months back. I work in healthcare, and my risk of Flu exposure is significant. I wasn't pregnant at the time.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

No. I believe *most* OBGYN's carry a "special" flu shot for pregnant or TTC women, which doesn't have all the preservatives or live viruses. That being said, the flu shot is one of those things that they *guess* which virus might be coming your way. But, they really don't know. So, maybe it will give you immunity for the viruses around you, maybe they won't. Some years their guessing is a total bust.

ETA: I decided not to get it, since I normally don't anyway. But they ask me every single time I go in there. It's so annoying!

Last edited by *Peanut*; 12-13-2011 at 01:30 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

Nope. We never do flu shots, they haven't proven themselves to work and I think Vitamin C, a diet full of fruits and veggies, combined with regular hand washing is the best defense anyways.
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote