Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
imaginejem
Registered Users

My Mood:
Brand New to CD'ing!

I am due to have my first child in March and plan to CD. (Hope I'm asking these questions in the right forum!) Really excited about CD'ing, but definitely overwhelmed! Think I'm going to attempt pockets (BG, FB) and covers/prefolds, but am confused about the difference b/w a cover and a hybrid? What do Gdiapers and Flips fall into? Is the only difference b/w a cover and a hybrid that the hybrid diaper has snaps on the inside to snap a liner or disposable into?

Thanks for any help available!

Advertisement

imaginejem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Brand New to CD'ing!

Welcome to CDing and the DS board! Congrats on your upcoming baby! It is an exciting time.

Although I've been CDing for 6 years, I am not expert. I'll give you my opinion on some of your questions, but I'm sure some other mamas will chime in.

I consider G diapers and Flips hybrids since they both use specific types of inserts that can lay directly next to baby's skin. Having said that, though, I use Flips with a pf, so you don't have to use them exactly that way. A traditional cover is usually sold as a stand alone product and you can use whatever you like (pf, fitted, contour, etc.) G diapers and Flips are sold with an insert especially made for that cover and I think that is where the hybrid comes from. Both diapers offer a cloth or disposable option. Having a snap is not required to make it a hybrid.

I know it can be overwhelming (I felt the same way when I started) but the mamas on here are so helpful and after awhile you find what works for you and your baby. Have fun!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congratulations and Welcome to the overwhelming world of cloth.

The term "Hybrid" means a mix between disposable and reusable diapers. So like Flips covers with the disposable flip inserts or gDiaper covers with the disposable inserts.

There is also the term "all-in-two" (also known as AI2) which is a cover and a reusable insert. Some systems have an insert that snaps into the cover, others are just lay-in (like a glorified cover and prefold). Generally what makes an AI2 system different than just a cover and a prefold is that the inserts are designed for the cover (again can either be a snap-in style or a lay-in style).
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

congrats and welcome(: Cloth diapering can be overwhelming at first, especially with all of the terminology.
Pockets have a shell with an insert that you slide into it so it doesn't touch the skin directly. Hybrids typically snap in (though they don't have to) and you change the insert when it's soiled but can reuse the cover.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
imaginejem
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the quick replies!! So, it sounds like AI2s are only really different from covers in that AI2s come with their own specialized insert instead of you deciding whatever insert you like best under a cover. But, in theory, you could put whatever type of insert you wanted into an AI2, it just might not fit as well as the one made to go w/ it.

And the advantage of gDiapers and Flips (kind of) is that you can use disposable inserts. (Which really isn't my goal, or else I wouldn't be doing all this research!) I think I have a friend who uses gDiapers, except she's using a PF or flat on the inside, and disposables at night only. (I could also be confusing her diapers for a different kind!)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginejem View Post
Thanks for the quick replies!! So, it sounds like AI2s are only really different from covers in that AI2s come with their own specialized insert instead of you deciding whatever insert you like best under a cover. But, in theory, you could put whatever type of insert you wanted into an AI2, it just might not fit as well as the one made to go w/ it.

And the advantage of gDiapers and Flips (kind of) is that you can use disposable inserts. (Which really isn't my goal, or else I wouldn't be doing all this research!) I think I have a friend who uses gDiapers, except she's using a PF or flat on the inside, and disposables at night only. (I could also be confusing her diapers for a different kind!)

Yup you got it! Most inserts will fit into other covers (though if they have a snap, you may not be able to snap them in)

Both the gDiapers and Flips have a completely reusable version as well. Another popular one is GroVia. The hybrid just gives you the *option* to use a disposable portion (which can be nice for camping etc. without adding to the plastic build up in the landfills since they are just basically wood pulp and are biodegradable)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
imaginejem
Registered Users

My Mood:

Actually, I love your point about camping; we love to travel (and travel lightly) - camping, backpacking, and try to get overseas at least once a year. The disposable option might be useful in those situations.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginejem View Post
Actually, I love your point about camping; we love to travel (and travel lightly) - camping, backpacking, and try to get overseas at least once a year. The disposable option might be useful in those situations.
in most cases you can use the disposable inserts in any cover or diaper.