Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
pkhotshot
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Luke Alexander's birth story (long!)

I managed to write up our birth story over the past few days. It’s long!

Pregnant with our first LO and coming up on our EDD, 11/18/11, we began discussing with our OB what the process would be if we did not go into labor on our own. DH and I took Bradley classes with the desire to have a natural, intervention-free labor and delivery. Our OB told us that he does not like going beyond 10 days past EDD due to increased risks, but that he would do his best to keep me off IV meds.

So, on Monday night, 11/28, we went in to the hospital for induction; I had been 1cm and 60% effaced for the previous month, with no sign of labor. They gave me Cervadil, a prostaglandin agent to help ripen my cervix, for a 12-hour period, followed by a 2-hour prostaglandin gel for good measure. At noon on 11/29, the nurse checked me and I was 2cm and 80%; my OB came in to break my water, hoping to jumpstart labor. He told me that if I showed progress by 2-2:30pm, then he would not start Pitocin. We kept our fingers crossed and hoped for the best.

Contractions started almost immediately, but were relatively tame. By 2:30pm, I was 4cm, so they held off on the Pitocin. Again, I was told that as long as I was making progress, there was no need for them to administer it (yay!). By 4:30pm, I was 6cm and they told me that most women typically progress at a rate of 1cm per hour. He expected us to be ready to push sometime between 10pm and midnight. Well, apparently, my body was ready to go! After only an hour and a half of heavy contractions, I was 9cm. Our (awesome) nurse moved me to my hands and knees to try and get past that last cm, the lip of my cervix. One contraction later and I’m hollering that I NEED to push! She checked me really quick and yelled out for somebody to page the on-call OB because we were going to have a baby now!

By 6:45pm the nurse and my DH positioned me on my side (I refused to be on my back) and gave me the “official” go-ahead to push at my comfort through the contractions. Can I just say that I LOVED pushing! Once again, my nurse was amazing (she did far more work than the OB did) and helped coach my DH and mom, who were both coaching me! She and the OB both did everything they could to prevent any tearing, which happened anyway, but it could have been much worse.

Thirty minutes later, once the baby’s head was out, the OB directed me through the shoulders and told me, “Reach down and grab your baby.” (!!!) If he had asked me before labor if I wanted to do that I probably would have said no, but he just TOLD me to do it, so I did! And it was the absolute, coolest thing ever. Another cool thing was that the OB wanted to know who was going to call the gender (since we did not know) because he wasn’t going to. So while I pulled up the baby, my DH was the one who told me that we have a son!

Luke Alexander stayed skin-to-skin with me for an hour and a half, began nursing within 10 minutes of his birth, and was very alert! After they took him across the room for weighing and attaching his ID bands, they gave him to my husband so he could have skin-to-skin time.

Sorry this was so long! I tried to cut it down some, but everything seemed too important leave anything out. I’m certain that every mom feels the same way about their birth story!

(PS: His feet aren’t nearly as big as the picture makes them look!)

[IMG][/IMG]

Advertisement

pkhotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Luke Alexander's birth story (long!)

How cute! Congrats!!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote