Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Re: Food rut-need new ideas!

rasamalaysia.com is an awesome site Ive been using. With a few core ingredients you can make a ton of different asian dishes(I stock soy sauce, sesame oil, cooking wine, ginger paste, oyster sauce). Yakisoba is a great dish to serve veggie or add a little meat to. You can make a buckwheat udon noodle soup, chow mein(I often do 1/2lb shrimp and 1 chix breast and grab a bag of chop suey veggies by the salads), broccoli beef(well chicken in your case), sweet n sour with peppers and pineapple. After buying the sauces and seasonings I can whip up a nice healthy meal very inexpensively. Most recipes call for cheap vegetables, carrots, cabbage(which I dislike except in asian food), onions, mung bean sprouts then I add in things like asparagus , zucchini or ???? to add some variety. If you have lots of veggie scraps you can even make eggrolls or lumpia theyre super simple.

We dont do casseroles here, closest thing would be enchiladas You can do chicken with green or red sauce and try it with flour or corn tortillas for variety. The other day we made individual calzones instead of pizza which was fun. I had a ham, pineapple, mushroom, olive and pepper one, DH used leftover chicken, bbq sauce, pineapple, onion and peppers. It was inexpensive because we used ingredients we had used for other things.

Advertisement

ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote