Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #31
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: C/S tips on recovering from a cesarean

I just remembered one more~
when they say no fluids/drinks, don't try and be sneaky by asking for a cup of ice after surgery and melting it to drink. I found out very fast this will make you vomit. My intestines were still numb which is why they don't want you eating/drinking for however many hours, I was so thirsty and thought I was slick..yeah not a good idea and I will not be doing that again..lol

Advertisement

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #32
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I forgot about the gas pains! That was the worst part of the recovery! I got them HORRIBLY in my right shoulder. I couldnt hold the baby, or even move - it was crazy!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #33
PailPowder
Registered Users
Formerly: tina041077
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
I forgot about the gas pains! That was the worst part of the recovery! I got them HORRIBLY in my right shoulder. I couldnt hold the baby, or even move - it was crazy!
That where mine were too but I was one of those clueless people who always saw people grab their upper arm when they had a heart attack (cuz ya know TV is always true to life...lol). Didn't even compute that it was the wrong side...haha
Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #34
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
I recommend you get up and out of bed as soon as you can, the moving around will help you heal faster, remember not to over do it.
Take your pain medicine as needed, don't try to be a hero.
Use a cuddly pillow to cough, sneeze, laugh, this helps so much.
yes, this exactly, stay on top of the pain meds! And a stool softener for sure, trying to use your body to push out a tough BM is awful because you don't have the core muscles to do it at that moment.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #35
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you know you will have a c-section prepare by working out your arms. Try to lift supported by your legs and back. Shave everything blank and keep it shaven and treat your scar with oil. Walk as early as you can and often. Don't talk while you do your first trip to the toilet Ask for stool softener and take it for a couple of days. Stay on the pain meds, just stretch out the time in between. Bring comfortable big cotton undies that go over the incision, remember that your belly will be swolen so size up.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #36
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just had a c-section last month after having 6 vaginal births, so I had no idea what to expect.

Don't be surprised if there's numbness around the incision. It's normal.

I was on a liquid diet for 2 days after the surgery. I was STARVING by the time they let me have real food!

After surgery, you will be more prone to infection. I recommend building up your immune system as much as possible to minimize this risk (I ended up with mastitis when dd was 4-5 days old, and a tooth infection the following week). My midwife recommended taking vit. C and Elderberry Syrup.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #37
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

I know a couple PP have mentioned it, but my number one tip is STOOL SOFTENERS!!! Oh, the pain of not having that tip with my first one.

Get up and moving ASAP.

Get the IV out ASAP as well, my feet blow up from all the fluid so I need no extra.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #38
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I switched from narcotics to advil when I got home and it was fine for pain. I also made sure to stay on top of the pain meds schedule at the hospital so I didn't feel much pain. Don't be afraid to remind the nurses of when you need meds! They usually won't offer them unless you ask.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #39
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
I just remembered one more~
when they say no fluids/drinks, don't try and be sneaky by asking for a cup of ice after surgery and melting it to drink. I found out very fast this will make you vomit. My intestines were still numb which is why they don't want you eating/drinking for however many hours, I was so thirsty and thought I was slick..yeah not a good idea and I will not be doing that again..lol
They don't let you drink after surgery? I had a huge glass of ice water as soon as I was out of the OR. Then I had my clear fluid dinner within an hour or so.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #40
Madalyn
Registered Users
seller

The belt thing sounds awesome. Nobody gave or recommended one to me. *cringe* I can still remember the icky feeling of my post baby belly jiggling over my incision. I honestly had little bowel pain. As for the meds I took like one Percocet after I got home then stuck with the ibuprofen. They made me sooo dizzy!! I declined it at the hospital at first too but woke up in a world of hurt having to page the nurse lol. Stay ahead of the pain at first for sure!

I definitely echo buying the highest granny panties you can find. You never realize how low your underwear waistband is until it's sitting right at the incision spot.