Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Best replacement aplix and elastic?

Hi mama's- I have some BGE's that I want to replace the aplix in, and some BG 4.0's that I want to replace elastic. I have probably 2 dozen to do in total, so I know I can probably get cheaper (and better quality) than the BG replacement kits. Advise on what brands to get and from where? Thanks!

(also posted this in diaper chatter, but it was suggested I post here.)

Advertisement

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
ilovecookie
Registered Users
seller

I replaced all my bgos aplix, laundry tabs and landing strip with supplies from joannes with a coupon. I did 1/2 dozen for just a few bucks and lots of time.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best replacement aplix and elastic?

I know all elastic and aplix isn't created equal. What brands have good reputations. Especially the aplix- I know it will be a pain in the butt to replace, so I want to make sure I get good quality.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd get 1/4" polybraid elastic from Very Baby or Kids in the Garden.

Very Baby also sells Aplix and Touchtape. KITG sells Touchtape. Personally I prefer Aplix. You'll want the 1.5" wide loop for the front "landing strip. For the side tabs, you'll want the 1" hook and 1" loop (if doing crossover).

But it would probably be cheaper to get the BG fix it kit. Though you'd still need the front loop.

Sent via iPhone using DS Forum (yes, I'm that addicted)

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I will check them out. BG aplix doesn't seem to last very long. I need to replace the landing strip on all of them anyways- which is why I was going to just stick with the same brand for everything.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Aplix is a brand name (like Velcro). Aplix is soft and pliable, but doesnt hold up as well in the long run. Touch Tape (Blueberry, uses this) is very strong, but I find it on the stiff side for my tastes. Touch tape comes in beautiful colors, though.

I am pretty sure you will have to rip the seams at the front of the diaper to do the elastics. You can use either polybraid or Lastin clear elastic, polybraid is easier for beginners.

All these can be bought at Very Baby. Check out Very Baby's FB page, they have a free shipping code.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
fantasia1117
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been using elastic from Joanns, the 3/8" poly braid, and like it better than the orginal BG elastic (granted I have only replace elastic in my 3.0 and not the 4.0, so the elastic may be different). Also I replaced the landing strip on some of mine with the Velcro from the Babyville line at Joanns and so far it still looks perfect! It is a little softer, but seems nice and strong and hasn't pilled up at all. I am not sure if they use a certain brand. Also the width matched the BG perfectly, which I was having a hard time finding.
WOHM Mama to my two boys DS#1 (12/30/2007) and DS#2 (10/7/2010). Married to my amazing DH since 7/23/2005.
fantasia1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
fantasia1117
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

P.S. Elastic is much cheaper at Joanns than in replacements kits.
WOHM Mama to my two boys DS#1 (12/30/2007) and DS#2 (10/7/2010). Married to my amazing DH since 7/23/2005.
fantasia1117 is offline   Reply With Quote