Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I told her my situation she asked for my LMP and she listed the available docs for that time period. I asked about the other doc and she suggested I could switch later. I guess I could have pushed it further, but really there is no saying I would like this doc more than any other doc.

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Someone talk me out of this OB

If your choosen OB is in a group practice, chances are that there are no guarantees that that doc is going to deliver your baby.

And a family doctor (assuming in network) can be seen for obstetrics on most insurance plans. Don't look up OBgyn when doing your doctor search. Just call family doctors and see if anyone does OB care.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca View Post
If your choosen OB is in a group practice, chances are that there are no guarantees that that doc is going to deliver your baby.

And a family doctor (assuming in network) can be seen for obstetrics on most insurance plans. Don't look up OBgyn when doing your doctor search. Just call family doctors and see if anyone does OB care.
Good point on the group practice... I'll have to ask the question on my first appt.

We dont have a network or family doctors at this base (military family) with standard insurance. There is a family health clinic and a peds clinic. We have to use those clinics for our general health issues unless we pay for the upgraded insurance (which we cannot afford). They dont do prenatal care on base so we get a referal to go off base with a list of docs we can choose from. The system here is very strict... I can't even take my son to the ER unless there is a threat to "life, limb, or vision" without calling the doctor on call to get a referal. I'm really not complaining though. With so many people without health care I am very appreciative that the military takes care of our health!!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Meg it would drive me nuts too if our post didn't have an ob! I'm sorry it's so stressful!

Julie I sent you a message in FB! Yay for new friends!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
I would have been just fine with waiting, but I was worried the doc would be upset when he realized I waited. I didnt want to start the "relationship" off on the wrong foot. Guess its good I asked them the question since they wouldn't let me!
This happened to me when I was pregnant with DS. My nurse appt wasn't until 17 weeks, and dr was 19 weeks because we didn't have insurance. They were not happy at all that I waited that long but really there was no reason to be seen before then except for some tests that I didn't plan on having anyways. I won't be seen for this one until the end of January because we have no idea when we will get our new insurance cards and I can't make an appt until we get them and there's a 2 week wait just for nurse appts.

I would either call back and see if they've had a cancellation for the doctor you want, or just wait. Though I do agree on the group practice. I had the same dr for both kids, and he didn't deliver either one. I'm actually switching drs this time and asking if there's any way to make sure he delivers because I loved his delivery with my DD but I'm not expecting a yes.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote