Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Kales524
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Finally back! With a baby, birth story and pic!

Hey ladies! It's been FOREVER! I've been without a computer since I was 30 weeks pregnant...therefore I haven't posted since around that time. Anyways, a quick update!

Emersyn Mae was born 9/3/2011 at 2:17am and was 7lbs 7oz and 20 inches long!!

*****Sorry in advance for such a long story! Kudos if you read it all!******

Thursday September 1st*2011
I was hoping to wake up feeling great, I had felt really sick for the past 2-3 days. I was nauseous, extremely tired, having lots of lower back aches and kind of felt as though I had the flu....or like the first 4 months of my pregnancy! I had a pretty low key day, Iwent out to lunch with Mike & his mom (I just picked at Mike's plate), went back to his moms house and went to Costco. After lunch, I was feeling pretty crummy. I took a small nap/rest before we braved Costco. Costco was crazy. My back really really started hurting at Costco. I seriously thought it was just because there were so many people and it was just stressing me out. The stronger back ache continued but I didn't think anything of it. I was having lots of Braxton Hicks. I did some stretching and had Mike massage my lower back, but nothing helped. When I was getting ready for bed (around 8:45pm) I noticed that the pain was kind of coming in waves....a lot like menstrual cramps. I was really excited, but pretty nervous. I also realized that I had been in labor for quite a while. (Looking back I think my labor probably started around 1:30pm.) I went to bed and slept until 11:00pm.

At 11, I woke up in quite a bit of pain. I was positive that I was having “real” contractions. I started timing them so I could put a call out to the Midwife & our doula with a “heads up”. My contractions were 30 seconds long and about 2-3 minutes apart. As the night progressed so did the contractions. I wasn't able to get comfortable laying down. I was most comfortable in the hands and knees position with my head resting on our bed. I swayed my hips back and forth and had a heat pack on my lower back. I tried really really hard to find something to focus on and to relax. Around 3 am I decided that I would finish packing my bag and do a few last minute things. These tasks weren't as easy as I thought they would be. My contractions had picked up a lot. They were now between 1 minute and 1.5 minutes long and only 2 minutes apart. I called the midwife again to check in. She told me to take a bath, and try and relax and we would talk between 7 & 8 am. That seemed like forever away. I went through and tried different coping/relaxing methods. Moaning or humming through the contractions helped the most. I sat in the rocking chair with the heating pack on my back and between contractions was able to close my eyes for a few minutes. The worst part was I would always wake up right at the peak of the contraction. I was too tired to try and stay awake, so I stayed miserable.

7:30am finally came! I called the midwife back and she wanted me to come in around 8:40am to get checked. I tried to eat some breakfast but really wasn't interested in it. I had a few bites of some fruit and toast. We put everything in the car just in case and headed out. When we got to the Birth Center, I was dilated to 4 cm. She gave us the option to either stay or go home. We chose to go home. We called the doula to give her a heads up, but told her she wasn't needed at the moment, we would call when we were ready. We thought walking might be a good way to help things progress. I sent my mom to the grocery store to get some things that sounded good (and do food shopping for the Birth Center). My contractions kept getting stronger and stronger. I found comfort in hanging over a counter or the computer desk, swaying my hips and moaning or humming. Around 11;30 am I had Mike call the doula and ask her to come. She arrived around 11:50am. I took another shower, tried sitting on the toilet, walking around, and doing some lunges to help alleviate the contraction pain. I felt that it was really hit or miss. Some times the lunging would work, but other times walking worked the best. I finally settled in the bath tub. I was able to drift in and out of sleep during the contractions.

As the contractions got a lot stronger I was feeling a lot of doubt. I felt like there was no possible way I could do this. We started timing the contractions again. My contractions were 2 to 2.5 minutes long and only 3 minutes apart. Mike was pretty sure I was close to transition. Kathy didn't think so, but we decided to go back to the Birth center just in case. We arrived around 2:15pm and Eloisa (midwife) checked me again. I was dilated to 5.5-6cm. I honestly was pretty let down. I honestly thought I was going to be around an 8 or 9. Especially with how strong and hard my contractions were coming. When Eloisa checked me she noticed that the baby wasn't in the best position. We did some rebozo sifting and knees/chest to try and get the baby to turn. She was being really stubborn. It also didn't help that the back pain I was having was unbearable. I thought counter pressure or using the hip squeeze would help but it only made it worse. I spent lots of time in the tub having the hot water sprayed on my back. That kind of helped. I also did some walking (as best as I could) and sat on the toilet (which didn't really help as much as I thought it would).

Eloisa checked me again around 4:30pm. I was dilated to 7 cm. I finally felt like I was making some process. Mike called our photographer (she was going to photograph the birth for us) to come. She arrived around 5:15pm. I continued laboring in the tub. That was one of the only places I could get somewhat comfortable. When Kim (photographer) arrived, I felt a surge of energy! She was a new face and almost like a breath of fresh air! The contractions were steady at 2-2.5 minutes long and 3 minutes apart. I felt that I couldn't get on top of them. Thankfully I had quite a few support people (Mike, Kathy, Kim, my mom and Eloisa) they all did a great job of cheering me on. Eloisa checked me again around 8:00pm. I was dilated to 8-9cm. The baby sounded great the whole time on the Doppler. Eloisa had kept checking me because we were trying to get the baby into the right position (and I had tested positive for Group B Strep so she needed to have an idea of when to give antibiotics & such). I also was very curious where I was at, but hated hated hated being checked!

Around 9:30pm Eloisa recommended breaking my water. I had been in labor for so long and I was getting exhausted. She said it would either help me progress the last 1-2cm or it could halt things. After talking about it we decided it would be worth a shot. We found out that there was meconium in my bag of waters. It was pretty light meconium so there was no need to transfer. Around 11:30pm I decided I wanted to go to the hospital. My contractions were constant. I was no longer having a nice 1-2 minute break in between them. I just needed something to take the edge off. Eloisa and Kathy did a good job of pro-longing me going to the hospital. Eloisa checked me again and I was 9cm with a tiny lip of cervix left. She had me push during a contraction and she tried to push the cervix away. Unfortunately that didn't work. Eloisa also noticed that when I would have a contraction the baby's heart rate would take a small dip. She decided that it would probably be best to transfer because she didn't know how the baby would handle contractions and pushing.

Around 1:40am we packed up and headed to the hospital. We arrived around 1:45-1:50am. I was taken back right away and started getting hooked up to everything. I was having a hard time with the contractions and having to be on my back (that was the most uncomfortable position) Dr. Madsen (on call dr. and dr. who I saw at 30 weeks) came in and checked me. I was at 10 cm finally!!! He was having me push during contractions and as I felt necessary. The baby's heart rate started to drop. It dropped and stayed “dropped” for about 3 minutes. That's when things got crazy. They flipped me side to side, to hands & knees, knee to chest, just to try and get her heart rate back up. I had cords all over me and I was getting oxygen (the babys oxygen level was slightly lowered) I felt extremely claustrophobic. When I turned back onto my back I noticed that there were probably 10-15 nurses and 2 doctors in my room. I remember one nurse telling me it was going to get really crazy and to just be strong.

The doctor called a “Code Purple” (code for Emergency C-Section) I was detached from all those cords so quickly and rushed down to the operating room. I didn't even get to have Mike (hubby) come back with me. Everything started to blur. There were a million people doing a million things and all I remember is having to drink some nasty grape/fizzy stuff that burned, and then having the anesthesiologist put oxygen on me and then tell me I would get sleepy. I woke up in a recovery room around 4:30am. All I wanted was to see and hold my baby. I had to wait about 30-45 minutes until I could go see her. Mike came and saw me & showed me pictures of her. She was perfect! I learned that she weighed 7lbs 7 oz and was 20 inches long. I finally got to go see her at 5:15am. I seriously never thought I could love someone so much! I got to stay in the nursery with her until 5:45am. She was pretty alert and really really snuggly. I learned that she was an “Extremely fast code-purple baby”-They called my code purple at 2:13am and she was born at 2:17am! 4 minutes from labor & delivery room to having a baby in the OR!

Leaving her in there was so hard but I needed to go rest. I made sure to remind them we wanted NO artificial nipples (since we didn't have time to give them our birth plan when we got there!) Mike had also reminded them. She came in to our room around 7:15am. She has been an amazing baby. They don't know why her heart rate was dropping, her cord was very long and had no knots nor was it wrapped around anything. She was coming down the birth canal a little lopsided (she had some bruising on her head and a pressure mark on her face). The Dr. thinks that since I was in hard labor for so long that she was tired (as was I) and that my placenta probably started to wear out. My healing has been going okay....just pretty painful. We stayed in the hospital for 5 days because I was showing signs of a potential infection, but the symptoms went away.

A quick re-cap of the craziness that followed-

~8 days old- my milk supply went away due to bad latch (thank's lactation consultants in the hospital!) *After fenugreek & pumping every 2 hours for 3 days I got it back!!!!

~2.5 weeks old- started sleeping in 4-5 hour stretches!!!!! (now does 7-9 hr stretches!)

~4.5 weeks - I went to the ER for excessive bleeding...found out I had a uterine infection.

~5 weeks- Emersyn gets hospitalized for 2 days for RSV and double ear infection She lost almost a pound in those 2 days.

~6 weeks- She smiled at me and stole my heart all over again!

~6 weeks- I was diagnosed with Postpartum depression. Not severe, but I'm going to go talk with a counselor. I think it will help!

~7 weeks- We have thrush! But a great milk supply!

~7.5 weeks- she now weighs 10lbs!!!!!!!

So excited to have a support group again. It's been a rough go!

You can go to -
http://kimalincoln.zenfolio.com/emersyn (password- sept2)

to see her professional pics at 11 days old (DS won't let me upload )

5 hours old

3 weeks old

6 weeks old

7 weeks old

Advertisement

Last edited by Kales524; 10-29-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Kales524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
army_princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Finally back! With a baby, birth story and pic!

Congrats, sounds like you had a crazy labor and birth and past 2 months!!

She is so cute!
army_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, what a birth story!! What a beautiful blessing you have!! Your DD & I share a birthday... glad your milk supply is doing well.... keep your chin up, it DOES get easier!!

Oh my word, are those GORGEOUS pix!!!!!! She is GORGEOUS!! That outfit w/the poms on her sweet little head is so stinken cute too!!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Tripletmomtx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hay mama have U joined our Facebook group? It is very active :-). Congrats!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
Kales524
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did! Thank you!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats! She's beautiful!
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
srkobus
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

awww, she is a doll! congrats! glad u got back on the puter with all us ladies!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Kales524
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bump for Sherry!