Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
mmmarmalade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
T-shirt diaper tutorial?

I think I've seen a tutorial on here on how to make a fitted out of a t-shirt... can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a friend who needs to make new diapers and has a ton of t-shirts she wants to get rid of. It would be nice for me to be able to get rid of some of DH's t-shirts too TIA!

Advertisement

Marmalade Baby
mmmarmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Marion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: T-shirt diaper tutorial?

i think fern and fairie has a free pattern for one.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
mmmarmalade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I really appreciate it

Marmalade Baby
mmmarmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
NooneeWilga
Registered Users

I have a tutorial for how to make a pocket dipe from a Tshirt. Translation - nappy = diaper
Tutorial for Pocket Diaper

You could easily adapt it for sewn in absorbency rather than leaving a pocket opening.
HTH
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Simply Sanity Creations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion
i think fern and fairie has a free pattern for one.
They do... if you go to their store, the link is in the listing for dirt cheap diapers... id link, but I'm on my phone... store is http://www.fernandfaerie.com/

Sanity, who is currently laying in bed incubating a Tiny Human, and using her Droid2 to browse DS
Simply Sanity Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Just remember that tshirt material is not super absorbent. I tried making a tshirt diaper and used old towels as the absorbent part and it was soaked very quickly. So just remember to add a good absorbent layer in there somewhere.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Simply Sanity Creations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama View Post
Just remember that tshirt material is not super absorbent. I tried making a tshirt diaper and used old towels as the absorbent part and it was soaked very quickly. So just remember to add a good absorbent layer in there somewhere.
It depends on the t-shirt... also, you can use blue jeans as the outer layer, and then a 6 layer t-shirt soaker, and then 2 full layers of t-shirt inner layer, all from 1 t-shirt and part of a pair of jeans, and be pretty nicely absorbent...

Oh, here's the link to her dirt cheap diapering page... I've used her t-shirt prefolds and made them using that tutorial and they are nicely absorbent....
Simply Sanity Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think these would work fine for newborns & wipes but I'm not sure how good they would be for older kids. My neighbor made all her diapers for her kids out of flannel. ( this was in the 1960's. She used thrift store flannel sheets! She left a hole in the top (ie what we would call a pocket) for adding extra layers at night! (Old kitchen towels cut in half and folded once) She said her whole stash cost about $5.00 and lasted 3 kids! WOW!
I saw the outer Jean layer suggestion and I just wanted to point out that you couldn't use a snappi with jean. IF I were going to make a jean layer, I'd make a fitted with velco or snaps. I really like that websites fitted section.
I hated the prefold/newborn stage! But I would consider making some T-shirt pull-ups for a potty trainer if my daughter outgrows her stash before she is fully potty trained. She'd just have to wear those plastic pants over them.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote