Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Ok Mamas I need some help - stuffing my first bird!

I have tried once in my entire life to make a turkey and I HATED it and gave up... that would have been um 12 years ago

This is the very first year we are going to be home for Christmas dinner and I need to make said dinner.

I need some SIMPLE stuffing secrets.

I have ZERO cooking skills basically and don't want my family to gag or get sick

HELP please!

Advertisement

mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My family's stuffing is not at all healthy, but it is delicious and really simple. Basically, you melt a lot of butter and cook down a lot of celery and onion in the butter. For one 14ish pound bird we end up using about 2-3 loaves of bread, 6-8 sticks of butter, one bunch of celery and 1-2 large onions. Cube the bread and pour the butter mixture over it. Enough to completely coat it, but you don't want it dripping with butter.
Stuff and cook as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok Mamas I need some help - stuffing my first bird!

My family seems to enjoy the ready made pepperidge farm stuff- just wet it and stuff it basically.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never eaten or cooked stuffing in a bird. I always prepare mine and bake it in a casserole. Not worth the risk of bacteria IMO. I second the pepperidge farm though YUMMY.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
SageR
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree that the most simple thing for you would be to use the Pepperidge Farm bags. They are pre-seasoned so all you have to do is add some liquid. Look on the back and just follow the directs for the amounts. My mother always cooked a little onion in some butter and used this along with some chicken stock to moisten the mix.

I think in your situation it would probably be easier to skip stuffing the bird and just bake the stuffing in it's own dish. IMO stuffing the turkey is messy and a little tedious. The stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving dish and I really don't think having it in the bird versus a separate baking dish makes that much of a difference. It's good either way so why not save the trouble? Mix it up, place it in a baking dish covered, and put it in the oven for the last 45 minutes or so (your turkey should cook about 20 minutes per pound unstuffed, so set your timer and then when you get to the appropriate time pop the stuffing in.)

Good luck!