Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Whole proteins without meat?

So my DH and I like to go meatless as a kind of traditional Friday penance, but the problem is that our son is intolerant to dairy, soy, and eggs. He will wake up crying numerous times during the night if we eat these things (and I'm still nursing him so I can only have very small amounts of these foods as well). I think he also has this reaction to beans (naturally, since I'm pretty sure these night wakings are caused by gas pains). I also like to avoid seafood since his glutathione (an antioxidant responsible for eliminating heavy metals from the body) levels are low.

So are there any other good protein sources that exclude meat, seafood, dairy, soy, eggs, and beans? Any good recipes?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Chicotwinmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Whole proteins without meat?

Not sure if it's a whole protein, but quinoa has protein in it...you can also use almond milk to make smoothies, or Mac n cheese (use vegan cheese), etc. The options are pretty limited...I had a hard time when my son wa allergic to dairy. Many health food stores have good options too, though avoiding soy is difficult. Good luck!
Chicotwinmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nuts and seeds
Quinoa and amaranth are similar to milk in amino acid profile
In general combining a whole grain with a legume makes a complete protein. Some legumes are easier to digest than others. Try lentils or dal or small white beans or peas. Soak beans and discard the soak water before cooking. Scoop off and discard any foam that arises during cooking.
Hth and good luck!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
the_oz_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Teff is another whole protien if I remember right.

Nutritiondata.com is very helpful for protien building in a diet.
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
loonyluna
Registered Users
seller

You could try seitan which is wheat protein. I use it to make BBQ baked potatoes.
loonyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, if it was me, I would not try to go meatless at this point. I think I would just stick with the things that I knew were safe. We are soy-free, and I've been dairy-free and gluten-free multiple times. It's been hard enough to stick with those restrictions without adding another, not absolutely necessary layer of being meat-free. I know that's not super helpful, but seriously, I would reconsider your reasons for being meat-free, at least until your son isn't exclusively breastfeeding.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck, and may your son's digestion improve dramatically! Those sleepless, crying nights are no fun for anyone!
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ditto. How about trying a partial fast on Fridays instead? During lent our "Operation Rice Bowl" suggests a simple and small dinner meal. Most recipes were meatless but I think the idea was more importantly to use that dinnertime for reflection and also it was suggested to donate any money saved (from eating simply/smaller amounts vs eating a regular meal.)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote