Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any rec's for toy vacuums?

I need recommendations for toy vacuums. DS is almost 18 mo(Just started walking a few weeks ago) throws a fit whenever I have the vacuum out and then put it away. No joke he does this sad wimper/cry when I put it back in the cupboard and it took me a while to figure out that me putting the vacuum away was what upset him. He just loves it and wants to play with it whenever I get it out. Lol.

So I'm looking for a decent toy version. I've got a $20 voucher for Toys R Us plus I have a free one year subscription with shop runner so that's probably where I'm going to order it from.

I like the one more expensive dirt devil one and the just like home 2 in 1 vacuum. Does anyone have one of those? I don't want to buy something that will fall apart or break after a little use, but I also want one the DS will like and play with. I'm leaning toward dirt devil though cause that's what my vacuum is. What do you think?

Advertisement

Last edited by allisonmartin; 12-27-2011 at 11:21 PM.
allisonmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Tribro
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any rec's for toy vacuums?

We have the fisher price laugh and learn. I recently purged all the toys that are lights and sounds except this one because the kiddos love it soooo much LOL. It has a setting with very realistic vacuum sounds and DS follows me "vacumming" too.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a vacuum lover & buying him a toy vacuum was an insult to him. He was mad it didn't actually suck. So I got him a cheapie dust buster. He was 2 when he got it & he is nearly 4 & still loved the real vacuums. The toy version has barely been touched.

OP, I know this doesn't help you with the gift card but be prepared that your LO may be mad the 'cuum isn't real.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
jcgreenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS also had huge fits when he wasn't allowed to get the vacuum out, and he now has his own. He has the red dirt devil with the canister look, and it actually even sucks a little bit! Granted, it's not going to do much actual cleaning, but it sucks a little. DS loves it, and it's so much easier when he wants to vacuum to allow him to push his to his little hearts content. He still loves the big one, and asks to push it when we vacuum (which we allow) but the dirt devil one has saved us from many meltdowns. Oh, he also has a kid-sized broom he's obsessed with, so as long as you're at TRU maybe you should pick one up... LOL
Old 12-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We also went stright to a sweeper vac for our kids. We bought one that the handle comes in 3 pieces (like the old style swiffers if you KWIM). we just didnt put the middle section in so the handle is kid height. I like that they are actually cleaning while playing too, lol! I believe it was $30?

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

my 2 youngest boys r really into vacums too. the toy ones we have dont pickup so were getting them a real one each also (just one that charges so they arnt plugging it into the wall) my house will b so clean w/ 2 lil ones vacuming all the time. lmbo! we did have the dirt devil one but it broke within 2 days.(its made really cheap) so we have a fisher price one & another one but i cnt think of its name raight now. they like them & play w/ them alot but really want a real one. so were gonna do that soon
Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I am a vacuuming nut, and I love toy vacs too.

We've had a Dirt Devil and now a Little Tykes one. The Dirt Devil kids vac was cute, but not as durable- it broke after a few weeks and the wheels would no longer turn so it couldn't be pushed. The Little Tykes one is awesome. It is sturdy as can be and uses no batteries. It has balls in a clear 'canister' thing in the front that move when you push the vacuum. It also has a little 'mini vac' that fits into the neck of the vacuum and it makes a noise when you push it, but no batteries needed. It's fun for stairs.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks ladies. I think I'm going to give the little tikes one a try, since my gift card will cover it and then if he doesn't like that one maybe I'll try the Just like home one. I really like the dirt devil one just cause it looks like mine, but I don't want something that's going to break so going to skip that one and keep the idea of the real vacuum in mind.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
I have a vacuum lover & buying him a toy vacuum was an insult to him. He was mad it didn't actually suck. So I got him a cheapie dust buster. He was 2 when he got it & he is nearly 4 & still loved the real vacuums. The toy version has barely been touched.

OP, I know this doesn't help you with the gift card but be prepared that your LO may be mad the 'cuum isn't real.
He doesn't seem to care if it's on or not so hopefully that's not an issue. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgreenmama View Post
My DS also had huge fits when he wasn't allowed to get the vacuum out, and he now has his own. He has the red dirt devil with the canister look, and it actually even sucks a little bit! Granted, it's not going to do much actual cleaning, but it sucks a little. DS loves it, and it's so much easier when he wants to vacuum to allow him to push his to his little hearts content. He still loves the big one, and asks to push it when we vacuum (which we allow) but the dirt devil one has saved us from many meltdowns. Oh, he also has a kid-sized broom he's obsessed with, so as long as you're at TRU maybe you should pick one up... LOL
We used to have one of the dirt devil brooms and all the kids that came to our house loved it but it got broke after so much use but may have to get one of those too, since DS does like the broom as well. Lol.