Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
mom24munchkins
Registered Users
seller
seller

Question for knitters!

I've finally decided to knit. I can officially make dish rags. I felt way accomplished by this fact . BUT, I'm getting bored with making things I don't really want. I want to knit longies but I also don't want to overwhelm myself before I'm ready to actually sit down and knit something like that. SO my question is how much should I practice before I take on something like that? And are newborns harder that a larger size? And where do you find patterns and what are your favorites? Thanks! Also, what do I need needle wise? Thus far I have a set of bamboo needles and some major cheapo metal ones. I know I HATE bamboo. But when will I need more than just straight needles and what do you love? Ok...I'm all done now

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for knitters!

The first thing I knit was a basic square, and then I went straight to a soaker and pair of longies. They're not too difficult if you go one step at a time. I've only ever used the Sheepy Pants patterns, which I found to be great for newbies, but I've heard raves for others as well. A size larger than NB would be easier IMO because the NB sizes are so small they're sometimes hard to stretch around the needles. For circ needles I have a mixture of the ones from Joanns, Knitpicks, and Addis. They're all metal and I like them all. You'll need 16in circs in a couple sizes (usually 5&7 or 6&8) and then 12in circs (or double pointed needles but those are a pain) in the larger size.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
KailaMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did what you did. dishcloths first. Then I bought the pattern book from burgh baby gear. I also got a set of interchangeable needles from Micheal's. This is what I still use.

Custom Scrappies Girly and GN-Please pm for info.
KailaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
I learned to cast in, knit, purl and made a half a dishcloth then I bought the Sheepy Pants pattern and started it. I think I started my first pair of Sheepy pants about three days after I first picked up a knitting needle.

My first two pair of pants were horrible. Lol but it all clicked for the third pair and I've never looked back.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
caleighbelle47
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did hats first, and after having made a few went on to a simple longies pattern.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
ShyViolet
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I made half a scarf then went straight to knitting longies Like PP said, you will need a size 5 16" circ for the waistband, and either a size 7 or 8 16" circ for the body, then a size 7 or 8 12" circ for the legs. I also have a size 4 16" circ but I never use it, I use the size 5 for all my waistbands regardless of what size I use for the body.

I recommend the Eviepants pattern and you can use knittinghelp.com to look things up as you go.

I agree to knit a size small instead of newborn for the same reason previously said. the bigger sizes aren't any harder, they just take longer so the smaller size is good to start to boost your confidence.

I only use Addi Turbos, they are worth it.

ShyViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
NSB
Registered Users
seller

I never wanted to make dishcloths or a scarf, so I didn't Once I could knit and purl, I made 2 sets of doll longies from a free pattern, then bought the Sheepy Pants pattern and that REALLY got me knitting. I have now made 3 pairs of longies and tried something new on each one (pocket, button holes...) I now am about 1/2 way done my first sweater for my 1 yr old son! You can totally do longies mama!!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
AndreaJP
Registered Users
Formerly: anpolo
seller

My Mood:
The first thing I ever knit was a pair of longies. You can o it mama! Just follow the instructions, an desktop if you are unsure of a technique an look it up. Thats all I did.

They were totally flawed but a great learning experience and my second pair was much much better.

Teeny Tiny Tot Shop closed down - Mixed Diaper Lot & Nursing Items for sale at wholesale prices!
AndreaJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
AndreaJP
Registered Users
Formerly: anpolo
seller

My Mood:
Oh, and I used the sleepy pants pattern. I've tried the evie pants but I still like the sizing of the sp better do that is my go to for sizing.

Teeny Tiny Tot Shop closed down - Mixed Diaper Lot & Nursing Items for sale at wholesale prices!
AndreaJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:26 AM   #10
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyViolet View Post
I made half a scarf then went straight to knitting longies Like PP said, you will need a size 5 16" circ for the waistband, and either a size 7 or 8 16" circ for the body, then a size 7 or 8 12" circ for the legs. I also have a size 4 16" circ but I never use it, I use the size 5 for all my waistbands regardless of what size I use for the body.

I recommend the Eviepants pattern and you can use knittinghelp.com to look things up as you go.

I agree to knit a size small instead of newborn for the same reason previously said. the bigger sizes aren't any harder, they just take longer so the smaller size is good to start to boost your confidence.

I only use Addi Turbos, they are worth it.
I agree with everything here... I teach knitting locally and I always hear, "I want to make a scarf!" and I think, "Noooo, you dont!" It is awesome that you want to progress and honestly the techniques used in knitting longies and hats are NOT complex, as long as you take them one step at a time and don't allow yourself to get overwhelmed with the entire concept!

I also suggest Evie Pants, besides being my pattern of choice (after buying all of the popular ones) I think that they make a far nicer looking FO than the others, some are missing short rows completely (which makes for ill fitting pants!) or they have odd math which makes for annoying things like off centered waist cords. Evie Pants patterns are all well written, include a lot of pictures for tricky parts, lots of options for leg length from soaker/shorty to full length pants and several skirty sections. There are tons of options for the bottom cuff and it is written very true to size (if you knit to gauge). If you want to use different weights, it's as easy as knitting the size up or down and making sure your new "math" and "gauge" fits.

I prefer Addi turbo fixed circs in 16 and 12 and you can get an adjustable length if you start knitting more than pants and hats, but if you get yourself US size 5-8 16 inch length and 7-8 on 12 inch you will have all the sizes you need to make newborn to PL sized pants and hats through adults. If you get yourself a longer length, you can do magic looping or you can buy double pointed needles in 7-8 also and pretty much set yourself. You can get Addi's on ebay cheaper than coop pricing because of the wait and fees, however by buying on ebay vs an Addi US authorized retailer, you are forfeiting the warranty coverage because all the coop and the cheap ebay Addis are gold cord which is Addis way of knowing they were sold in Asia. The warranty information is on the Addi website. If you want that coverage, in the United States you need to buy only blue cords.
EskimoStitches is offline   Reply With Quote