Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me pick a vintage sewing machine?

They're all pretty much heavy duty so that's one check on my list, but I need one that can do straight stitch, zig zag stitch, then a front and back stitch. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for older models with the really nostalgic look to them. Idk if any of those would do all these things though? Tried finding a site online for vintage machines/reviews, but found nothing... a recommendation would be awesome if you know of a good site. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
vphonegirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me pick a vintage sewing machine?

I had a 1960's kenmore for my 1st machine. I bought it at an auction. Loved the thing. So tough and would sew through anything. My mom has it in storage now, I loved it for quilting. It had a couple of zig zags, forward and backward sewing, drop feet. Must have been one of the first electric machines. It was sold from sears at the time. Sorry I don't remember the model.
vphonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a 50's Singer, it's very basic, I think there's like 6-8 stitches, but it's pink! I also have other machines but this is the one I use for all my simple sewing
Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have a 1965 brother pacesetter that I use as a back up machine and it sews through anything like butter. It is amazing.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
zootzmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My very favorite retro machine is my singer 500a, I also have the 503a. they are both slant machines, the 500a is a rocketeer and has a ton of built in stitches. Great workhorses and they sew diapers and things beautifully.

I found both of mine on craigslist. One was around $75 for the machine and sewing desk with a little bench seat.
The other was around $40 I think, with the case. Both were in great shape.

You can find them on ebay too.
zootzmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
oooohhhh. Singer slants are amazing.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would look on Craigslist. I found a local guy who repairs old machines and sell them for great prices. I bought one of the newest models he had (an early 1970s White 999) and it is awesome. I got the newer one for the free arm. He had lots of nice older ones that were flat bed machines. I don't know if I will use the free arm a ton, but since I do make things and have used the free arm, I wanted to keep that option available.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
zootzmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is my Singer Rocketeer

rocketeer1 by ZooTZbaby, on Flickr

and my 503a

lorraine1 by ZooTZbaby, on Flickr

but really any old singer does great with thicker things, but just make sure you don't get a straight stich only machine, if you need other stitches.
zootzmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zootzmomma
Here is my Singer Rocketeer

rocketeer1 by ZooTZbaby, on Flickr

and my 503a

lorraine1 by ZooTZbaby, on Flickr

but really any old singer does great with thicker things, but just make sure you don't get a straight stich only machine, if you need other stitches.
Oh they are soooooooo Purty. I love love love slants.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
lilymama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm View Post
They're all pretty much heavy duty so that's one check on my list, but I need one that can do straight stitch, zig zag stitch, then a front and back stitch. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for older models with the really nostalgic look to them. Idk if any of those would do all these things though? Tried finding a site online for vintage machines/reviews, but found nothing... a recommendation would be awesome if you know of a good site. TIA!
Have you checked here for some ideas: http://zigzaggers.typepad.com/zigzaggers/ ?

I love my Viking 21A, but to do decorative stitches requires cams. Still, it's a beauty and can keep up with my Bernina.

I also have a cool Morse that does ZZ and straight stitch, forward and reverse. Search out Morse machines, and maybe the pink Atlas (not sure if those do ZZ, though).

If you are specifically shopping for a vintage machine that takes cams, make sure that you know what cams, case and feet came with the machine, originally. In the case of the Viking 21s, the cams and cases are as scarce as hen's teeth, so trying to find replacements can be expensive, if not near impossible.

The exception is Singer. There are so many of them that there is not only a good supply of vintage parts, but also repro parts that can be purchased.

Factor in that you might need to take it to an experienced tech for a refurb and adjustment. The European machines, especially, have very close tolerances and are not as easy to time and adjust as a domestic Singer or Japanese 15 clone.
lilymama is offline   Reply With Quote