Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:
How much to give if LO LOVES food?

So I just started giving LO some purees a couple weeks ago. We did oatmeal for about 3 weeks. He takes to that very well but I know nutritionally it's not really doing much, so I'd rather move to veggies and fruits. So far we've done butternut squash and sweet potatoes. I plan to move to bananas, avocados and apples next.

Apparently, LO LOVES food. Or at least those first two veggies! I either freeze my servings in ice cub trays or in these 4 oz Glad containers. If I let him, LO would eat an entire 4 oz container in one sitting. I'd rather him not eat that much, but he happily keeps taking spoonfuls and doing his bird mouth after each one. I usually cut him off after 2 oz because I'm afraid of overfeeding him at this point. He's only getting it at dinnertime and it's always in succession with 6-7 oz of formula. He's a puker, anyway, so the more that goes in = the more that comes out.

How much is too much? How much is too little? I can't gauge what I should be giving him ...

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Bmomma2C
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How much to give if LO LOVES food?

He's 4.5ish months old? We didn't start solids til a week short of 6 months but it took my son, who loves everything we have given him, about a month and a half to move from a few spoonfuls to a stage 2 jar. Now at 8.5 months he gets 4-5 stage 2 jars a day, in 3 meals. I do believe they let you know when they are hungry and when they are full, but some kids can overeat without realizing it. He did naturally reduce his "mealtime" bottles from 6 ounces to 4 when he started consuming more solids.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #3
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How much to give if LO LOVES food?

He is 5 months (21 weeks). thanks! I hope to keep him around 2 oz per feeding for another coupe weeks. introduce about 2 oz of fruit in the a.m. (veggies in the p.m.) and then move up when he's around 6 months...