Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
All babies are definitely not the same!!

Well, my Shayla turned 4 months old a week and a half ago,so I decided after doing research that I would feed her just a wee bit of organic avocado mixed with my milk . Just to see if she would take to eating mushy foods early.
Now, some background on intro food early: my now just turned 4 year old, when he was 4 months I gave him some bananas to start out with, then some cereal. Never had a bit of a problem with adjusting to the food ,constipation , NAdA!
So with Shayla, comes day two I tried her again on the avocado with my milk,then expressed some milk into a bottle and all seemed ok. But she then went from having 1-2 poos a day, to nothing. She also was fussy even after a feeding.
so I decided no more avocado until her tummy settled and she had had a BM. Still nothing ,so over the weekend I called my Ped, who gave us his cell phone number for out of hours calls, and he suggested straight apple juice then if that didnt work an infant suppository.
During Christmas this is what consumed me, not presents or happy times with family, but what kind of mom was I making my baby constipated and fussy!
finally today, actually this evening after being diligent with the breastmilk only , and more often as well, and the suppository for the 2nd time over 3 days, a warm bath and a massage. She went ...

So now,I have made the commitment to not offer anything til after 6 months and maybe even later. I just got too excited about trying something new with her, thinking that me ,the experienced mom knew all.
And in so doing, learned that babies are not all
thanks for listening to my rant. It felt good to get it out there.

Mama to 5 blessings, 2 boys ,2 angels in heaven, and expecting a pink bundle August 28th 2011
mom22byz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: All babies are definitely not the same!!

So sorry she had such a tough time. it is so hard seeing our babies fussy and uncomfortable. My babies are that way too. Their little tummies don't seem to handle food well until around 8-9 months.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

It could be she wasn't ready yet, but it could also be just the wrong food. The proteins in avocados are actually allergens to some people, and I heard somewhere that those should actually be introduced way later (around 8 months at the earliest). Like you said though, every baby is different. Mine started on solids at two months and did just fine. He's now 7 months old and has to have cinnamon and nutmeg or curry in just about everything or he won't touch it
stevensmommy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Registered Users

All babies are definitely not the same Mine have all been different as to when they were ready for solids...first had cereal at 4mos, loved it, did great with it...but the next one not til 6mos and hated one didn't do well with solids until well after a year...current baby began at 7mos and began with avocados. Constipation has commonly been a sign for us to hold off longer so I think you are doing the right thing in giving it more time.
Christ following family~~married to my HS sweetheart, Jason (6/95)~~mama to DD (5/00), DD (8/02),DS (10/08), ^i^ (12/09) and DS (3/27/11)
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote