Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #31
CadencesMommy92010
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineFlamingo

You can also bake them in the oven on a 3 hour or more "clean" cycle, it will burn off all the leftover residue from previous cookings and leave you with a naked skillet which you can re-season. I will them rub them in oil and bake in the oven (turned upside down) on 250 for 3-4 hours. Love my cast iron!
For me personally cleaning them in the oven has never worked well :-( when I season mine, I never turn mine upside down...I don't know why, but I don't.

Advertisement

CadencesMommy92010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #32
Duckduckfish
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cast Iron Pan-Help Please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadencesMommy92010 View Post
Howdy neighbor! Where do you live in Louisana? I am about 5 minutes from the bridge...
West Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
For cornbread try this and see if this makes a difference: heat up your butter,grease whatever you are using a few minutes in the preheated oven take it out and sprinkle a bit of cornmeal in the bottom of the pan then put the batter in the skillet and bake.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #33
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all your help, ladies! I definitely have to add bacon to the shopping list! And I can't wait to be able to make cornbread in the pan! I bet it'll be delish!

It's amazing (if you poke around the web) how people can have such different advice in regards to caring for cast iron. Some say NEVER use soap. Some use soap occasionally, or every time. Some say don't use vegetable oils, that lard is best. Others say olive oil or coconut oil work great. Some season at lower temps, and others at higher temps. I guess it's kind of like diapers; different things work for different people.

I'm trying to avoid seasoning it with butter and crisco, because of my son's dairy and soy intolerance. I do have lard, but I hate to cook those preservatives into the pan. Or does the cooking break down the chemicals?

Anyway, I'm super excited about getting my pan in top shape for stick-free cooking!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #34
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I was able to use it for cooking bacon today for lunch! Just to be safe, I added a nice thick layer of lard to the pan first, because I didn't want to risk the bacon sticking. I suppose now I should drain the fat before it hardens.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #35
CadencesMommy92010
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwifenmama
Well I was able to use it for cooking bacon today for lunch! Just to be safe, I added a nice thick layer of lard to the pan first, because I didn't want to risk the bacon sticking. I suppose now I should drain the fat before it hardens.
I take bacon grease and put it in a mason jar and use it for cooking. How did you like using it this time?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #36
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadencesMommy92010 View Post
I take bacon grease and put it in a mason jar and use it for cooking. How did you like using it this time?
Well it sure was nice to fry something in a skillet without having it stick like crazy or leach nasty toxins into my food.

That's a good idea about saving the grease. I vaguely remember my mom doing the same thing when I was a kid. Does it need to be refrigerated? How long does it keep? Is it ok to keep if it's mixed with lard? TIA!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #37
CadencesMommy92010
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwifenmama

Well it sure was nice to fry something in a skillet without having it stick like crazy or leach nasty toxins into my food.

That's a good idea about saving the grease. I vaguely remember my mom doing the same thing when I was a kid. Does it need to be refrigerated? How long does it keep? Is it ok to keep if it's mixed with lard? TIA!
It works great for cooking! No, it doesn't need to be refrigerated. I usually use mine up within a few months, so I'm not sure exactly how long it keeps. Yeah, it will be fine with the lard.