Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DaneMama
Here's the GBS prevention regimen that my midwife gave me. I'm not sure it's as natural as you want. I started this at 35 weeks, and tested negative at 37 wks.

MegaFlora Probiotic (1 capsule a day)

Garlic 580 mg capules (2 with breakfast and 2 with dinner)

One 500 mg Vitamin C tablet with 200mg bio-flavonoids (with breakfast*and dinner)

Olive Leaf Extract (1000mg/day starting in the 3rd trimester)

Gy-Na-Tren oral and vaginal (14 day course starting 2 weeks before GBS screening)
Thank you!!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Re: Natural GBS preventative regimes?

I tested positive at 38 weeks (or something like that, I was tardy getting myself to the lab), and my midwife suggested:

-- Douche with echinacea & goldenseal (just break open a capsule in warm water, I think it was)
-- Take Echniacea & goldenseal
-- Eat Yogurt, and douche with it

And I forget what else ... darn.

As for "I don't see the point", on the test ... my midwife made this VERY good point:

If for any reason you get transferred to the hospital, and you have NOT had the test, they treat you as if you are positive. Having a negative test is really good ammo. I think she'd wanted me to get the test earlier specifically so there'd be time, if I had a positive test, to treat it and then get a negative test.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII
I tested positive at 38 weeks (or something like that, I was tardy getting myself to the lab), and my midwife suggested:

-- Douche with echinacea & goldenseal (just break open a capsule in warm water, I think it was)
-- Take Echniacea & goldenseal
-- Eat Yogurt, and douche with it

And I forget what else ... darn.

As for "I don't see the point", on the test ... my midwife made this VERY good point:

If for any reason you get transferred to the hospital, and you have NOT had the test, they treat you as if you are positive. Having a negative test is really good ammo. I think she'd wanted me to get the test earlier specifically so there'd be time, if I had a positive test, to treat it and then get a negative test.
Thanks! That actually happened last time and there was no issue (I transferred to hospital and hadn't done the test). That was a concern of mine before, but the hospital we would go to is pretty awesome.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatMama1990 View Post
Thanks! That actually happened last time and there was no issue (I transferred to hospital and hadn't done the test). That was a concern of mine before, but the hospital we would go to is pretty awesome.

Plus, short of an emergency, they can test you at the hospital and should be able to get results fairly quickly. And if it's an emergency transfer that'll be the least of your worries.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatMama1990 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good regime for preventing GBS naturally? I am planning on doing garlic cloves vaginally (3 nights on, 3 nights off) but trying to decide what else would be best in combination with that.

So far on my list of possibilities I have:

-Probiotics (though not entirely sure which ones, or whether they should be taken orally or vaginally).
-Live culture yoghurt.
-Echinacea (not sure on best dosage).
-Vitamin C (again not sure on best dosage, I have read 500mg every 4 hours).

Can anyone clarify dosages on these and specify the kind of probiotics to use? Should I just go for all of them (the above listed)?

I'd rather avoid hibiclens, as I think it will irritate me and is harsher than the rest of the treatments I'm looking at.
Echinacea is a contraindication during pregnancy.

My midwife, who has been a mw for 30 years only recommends hibiclens and grapefruit seed extract 3x/day. Reason being is that she's had many women do natural treatments and most of them still have it. Hibiclens is the only thing she has found work. I have really sensitive skin and it hasn't been at all irritating. It also needs diluting 20:1, so it's not going on full strength.

As for probiotics it's orally and vaginally.

You can also take bee propolis not pollen, propolis and drink chlorophyll.

Another mama mentioned it but if you do have it or haven't been tested, it's a good idea to wash with the hibiclens when you go into labor... Which will lower your chances of coming up positive as well as clean the area for baby.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12

Last edited by SeaChellsRun; 01-09-2012 at 06:51 PM.
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote