Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dealing with Impulsive Behavior

I am sure we are having more issues since school is out and DS just does so much better with routine. He has been so impulsive the past couple days. I'm just exhausted. We went to a movie yesterday and he bolted out of the theatre and I literally had to run after him chasing him. He took the mat off the counter at mcdonalds and threw it at the worker. In the middle of the night last night he literally took every piece of make up I own and rubbed it all over the bathroom sink. Just to name a few things, and when he has meltdowns they seem to come out of no where. We were literally just placing out order for lunch and he picked up the mat and threw at it at the lady. At the movie everything seemed fine, he loves movies at the theatre, never had a problem, he was sitting calmly watching the movie and suddenly he just bolted out. I know that being out of routine is throwing him off but I am struggling.

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Dealing with Impulsive Behavior

This is just a thought so feel free to take it with a grain of salt but it just came to me.

Background: myy oldest has combined type ADHD and her behavior has gotten really bad lately so we had to put her back on meds.

My middle daughter is in 1st grade. I volunteer in her classroom every week during guided reading groups so that the teacher can focus on her reading groups instead of watching the whole class. Basically the kids have tasks to get done and I just keep them on task and assist with independent reading when needed. Last time I went the kids were all excited about an assembly they'd just been to with Mr. XYZ, the school guidance counselor. It made a real impression on them. One of the boys told me about "Impulsive Puppy" who did naughty things and got into trouble. He was a good puppy but he sometimes rushed into things without thinking and he was scolded by mama puppy. Turns out Impulsive Puppy was a hand puppet who guided the kids through certain scenarios and asked them for advice on what to do so he didn't get into trouble. My middle daughter apparently was processing it all day long because when she got off the bus she said to me, "mama, I think ______(oldest rockstar) is being Impulsive Puppy today." It was something she recognized in her sister and it made an impression on her. Two weeks later she still mentions it and she tells her sister that she's being Impulsive Puppy when she sees the behavior.

I realize this is long and I applaud you for getting through it. But my point is that middle rockstar is turning 7 next week. She and her friends at school really liked and understood the message that Impulsive Puppy was sending. Sometimes a hand puppet is easier to talk to for kids than an adult is, even though they know the adult is doing the "thinking and talking." Maybe having Impulsive Puppy come to your house would help your son learn to recognize his impulsive urges and understand what to do. I guarantee he doesn't like the negative attention, but I bet he can't find a way to control himself. And I'm sure you can find a way to make it fun. Our "Impulsive Puppy" was a superhero complete with a cape. Maybe a little comment or two after the fact like, "wow, I see a little Impulsive Puppy today. Maybe we can find a way to get control." will be just what your son needs to remind him of his behavior without calling too much attention to it.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 12-31-2011 at 07:40 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks that sounds like a good idea, maybe I can just think up some scenarios to try with him and see how he responds. We see his pediatrician next week for his 5 year check up so I'll talk to him too and he has a psychologist we see when we need ideas so maybe I should make an appointment with her too. He was having a harder time in school the past couple weeks but I'm really hoping this is just a phase :-/
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dealing with Impulsive Behavior

Sounds like my 4 year old ds. He's soooo impulsive and loud and random.

Try to keep the "overs" under control too. Over-tired, over-hungry, over-stimulated.

Also have you read The Out Of Sync Child has Fun? My 4 year old doesn't have any dx or anything but possibly does have sensory issues as shadow symptoms (his older brother is ASD)

He's not really eligible for OT or anything but I do a sensory diet with him at home anyway.

Also diet---take an inventory of your ds's diet. If even a little bit of junk gets in my kids are craaaazzzzy.

Get a sitter and take a break too. My MIL takes the boys overnight every few weeks and it's such a blessed relief.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote