Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

need to switch at every feeding?

I know most moms when they talk about breast feeding say they feed on one side for a little while then switch to the second breast. What is the purpose in this? Is it okay to feed only from one side? My LO is nearly 10 weeks. I've always feed from one breast at each feeding. Is that okay? Pros/Cons?

Advertisement

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey<3Gavin
I know most moms when they talk about breast feeding say they feed on one side for a little while then switch to the second breast. What is the purpose in this? Is it okay to feed only from one side? My LO is nearly 10 weeks. I've always feed from one breast at each feeding. Is that okay? Pros/Cons?
I've always just fed from one side and if they seemed hungry still I would offer the other side

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: need to switch at every feeding?

My baby would only take 1 side per feeding, so she got the other next time. Some babies will eat from both at a feeding. I always offered both, but she was never interested. You should only switch if baby seems done on the 1st breast, then acts hungry. If you switch too quickly they get too much foremilk. If that makes sense.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's good to switch sides every time if you remember, because you want your milk production to be even in both breasts. I would use a hair tie on my wrist on the "time to nurse" side so I would remember. It's best to feed completely on one side, and even if baby latches off, offer the other side. It's important with a newborn to try and empty the main breast you're feeding on that session completely, to avoid mastitis, even milk production, and make sure the baby is getting the hind milk.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
OHIOFIFI
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD only nursed on one side at a time but DS will nurse from both. I agree with the other pp who said to nurse on one side and at least offer the 2nd side. Sometimes DS only nurses on the 2nd side for a minute or two, or sometimes he doesn't want the 2nd side at all. DS can also be a sleepy eater so I switch him from side to side to keep him awake and eating sometimes. Otherwise, he uses me as a paci and then wakes up a little while later hungry so I end up nursing him constantly. But do as pp said and make sure baby drains each side so baby gets the hindmilk and you keep your supply up.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Whether you need to switch is greatly dependent on your breasts' milk capacity (which is independent of breast size) and your baby's stomach capacity.

Some babies will only nurse from one side each feeding. Some babies want both sides. Some babies change their minds from one feed to the next depending on hunger. Do what is working. As long as your baby is gaining properly and you aren't suffering from mastitis, there's no need to change anything.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My babies usually only feed from one side per feed. I just make sure that the boob is totally drained because the fatty milk at the end. If they want more after the first boob is finished, then I offer the other breast. If that breast isn't totally drained, then I offer that breast again at the next feeding.
I keep a breast pad on the NON nursing side to know which side to nurse next.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote