Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Eczema in diaper area

We've struggled with a strange, sporadically recurring rash at the top of his diaper area/lower belly right where the top of the diaper fastens. Today, I took DS to the Ped for a check-up and he confirmed my suspicions - it's eczema. He suggested Aquafor, which I'll try, with a disposable liner. We've tried CJ's Butter and coconut oil and neither of these touch it. Hydrocortisone cream helped when it got really bad (and we'll use it again if it gets worse but we're supposedly to limit use of it). Has anyone else had diaper area eczema and found a CD-friendly solution?

Advertisement

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
luvmybabes85
Registered Users
seller

Re: Eczema in diaper area

I use lanolin or a raw silk liner and also raw shea butter cream. Eczema is not fun, sorry your lo has it too :-(.

my iso/iha:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1235645
luvmybabes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

what kind of diapers are you using? that may be the problem. my DS had that happen for a while until we realized that it was actually an allergic reaction to the pul strip on the top of his BGOS. he also got it on his inner thighs b/c he was just in a diaper & that's where his skin touched the diaper outer.

once we switched to fitteds & wool no more rash it those 2 places.

he does still have outbreaks on his face mostly where his paci sits (he only gets it in car & stroller). for those we use hydrocortizone to heal it most of the way (usually do it 2 nights. then cjs unscented butter to keep it soft.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He wears a mix of PUL and wool, stay-dry and organic fibers. I haven't ever figured out anything that makes it better or worse re: materials. He's a binky kid and we haven't had the eczema on his face. This started around when I tried Bac-Out a couple months back so I thought that was the culprit at one point but I stripped and we stopped using it. Detergent doesn't seem to matter either as I've tried a couple things. He also has it behind his knees.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybabes85
I use lanolin or a raw silk liner and also raw shea butter cream. Eczema is not fun, sorry your lo has it too :-(.
Lanolin isn't at all CD-safe, right? What about Shea butter? (I'm guessing no, hence your liner use.) Do you like your silk liners better than fleece ones? Or have you tried fleece? Why silk? (I've seen these and am just curious :-) )
Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
OHIOFIFI
Registered Users
seller
seller

exact same thing with my DS - belly area, behind knees, on chest, and behind ears. I have been using hydrocortisone & aquaphor like the dr said but it hasn't completely cleared it up yet. I use Tide F&G but I don't think I was getting my dipes clean enough so I am currently in the process of fixing that. He was also getting bad rashes but that is clearing up after stripping and changing up my wash routine. I do notice that he always soaks the upper front of his dipes up to the top edge and I wonder if that is a contributing factor. He is almost too big for smalls so I think I need to move into mediums, maybe a higher rise and get bigger PFs and see if that helps the situation.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
magoose
Registered Users

DS had really bad eczema in his diaper area too, but it was right on his butt cheeks. CJ's actually worked really well, but I had to put it on every single diaper change. Natural fibres, fleece liners and lots of air time or breathable covers really helped too. He's potty trained now but still has some patches on his butt and his face.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOFIFI
exact same thing with my DS - belly area, behind knees, on chest, and behind ears. I have been using hydrocortisone & aquaphor like the dr said but it hasn't completely cleared it up yet. I use Tide F&G but I don't think I was getting my dipes clean enough so I am currently in the process of fixing that. He was also getting bad rashes but that is clearing up after stripping and changing up my wash routine. I do notice that he always soaks the upper front of his dipes up to the top edge and I wonder if that is a contributing factor. He is almost too big for smalls so I think I need to move into mediums, maybe a higher rise and get bigger PFs and see if that helps the situation.
Yes! We have issues behind the ears too. My DS is rolling and scooting a lot, so it just depends in the pee as to where it ends up ;-)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
luvmybabes85
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Lanolin isn't at all CD-safe, right? What about Shea butter? (I'm guessing no, hence your liner use.) Do you like your silk liners better than fleece ones? Or have you tried fleece? Why silk? (I've seen these and am just curious :-) )

Lanolin IS cd safe and I think shea butter would be? The liner is good to heal rashes and is a natural fiber almost stay dry material. Oh and gmd has wool liners now for night time stay dry! So weird because I looked everywhere for wool liners when we had were trying to figure out his problem and was told they didn't exist.....and now there they are!

my iso/iha:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1235645
luvmybabes85 is offline   Reply With Quote